Help with this larger bid

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Gman2310, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Gman2310

Gman2310 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I need a little help breaking this fert bid down. We have never done a complex like this. There are 4 rounds.
    Round 1. A Slow release fertilizer applied in early spring. A Pre-emergent crabgrass control and broadleaf weed control also applied at this time.
    Round 2 A slow release fertilizer applied in early summer. An application of insect control and pre-emegerence crabgrasss control applied at this time
    Round 3. A well balanced fertilizer in ealry fall
    Round 4. A lime and winterizer applied in late fall.

Its 22 acres. The problem i am having is with round 1 & 2. Are they taking these chemicals and combining all of them for round one and 2. or is there some magic combo product for this.

We use lesco fertilizer. Any info would be great.

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I would do the broad-leaf weed control in the 2nd round instead of the first.
    I would also not do insect control in the 2nd rd, its a little early and its going to drive your cost way up!
    I do insect control in the 3rd round, but I also do 6 apps!
    Just watch your cost because a program like you have designed is a high end program with all that you will be doing in 4 apps.

3. Gman2310

from NJ

our regular residential program is 6 steps, this is what the association at this complex had in there program. This was what was on the bid package. They also told me that they only water 2xs a week.

4. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

1st question. Is the 22 acres an accurate measurement? Question 2. Insect control application, surface,subsurface or both? Question 3. how much of the complex can be treated with power equipment, ride ons, tractors, etc? Question 4. How much time to clean up, blowing off walks,patios and driveways?

5. boats47

boats47 LawnSite Member

8-10k depending on how much they really have to spend, not what they want to get out of paying. There are easy ways to figure this outm you just have to be inquizitive and talk to the right people. With properties this big you have to becareful not to price yourself out. What I mean is you have to find that cut off that they are going to say it is to much and not worth it. Remember to that not all the property is going to get insect control and you can save them and you $, I am sure your not one of guys that applies insect conrol to everything.

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with Indy--except that they also need a fall weed control, (which will also prevent winter annuals and most weeds in spring, especially dandelions.)

Figure how much time it will take--charge for your labor and overhead--then add your chemical costs. Maybe 75 dollars an hour per man, plus chemicals. Charge an hourly rate additional for use of any special power equipment.

Are they flexible, so that weed control can be applied in the second round? If not--and they want three things applied at once--more difficult--but on the other hand, not many companies would be willing to tackle the job. You need a Permagreen to do the three way aps. Put slow release fert/crab control in hopper and weed control in spray tank. Similar plan for round 2--fertilizer in hopper and weed control with insecticide in the tank. Better to put insecticide in round 3.

Above is correct-- if they want grub control instead of surface insects--costs are much higher, Timeing should be in July.

7. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I am with lawn king. These are questions that need to be answered before I would venture any kind of estimate or recommedation.

Not being a ball breaker this is just what I would need to know to float some ideas.

I have a 15 acre complex that uses the z-spray on some, pg on other areas and a 200 gallon spray tank on other areas b/c it is easier to spray all liquid than to blow off 300 driveways b/c they have a 2 foot strip between them.

8. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

we would be about $32,000 on this bid.

9. Gman2310

from NJ

i guess what i am more less looking for is, it seems like they are doing 2 apps in one. What i am trying to figure out, is it better for me to make it 6 apps like i do for my residential instead of only doing 4. Thanks for your help:confused:

10. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Ditto with all the above members. If I were trying to bid on this property, I would have serious questions to ask, cuz the program they ask for is unusual and not horticulturally correct according to your land-grant university..

Personally, I would visit with the management of this complex and ask if this "program" is set in stone.

No weed contol in fall?

No spot spraying of summer annuals in summer?

Do they really need grub prevent (have they had a prob with grubs?)

Lime? .......... What's their soil type?

Sounds to me like the previous service sold them a bill of goods, or else their home office requires this program for one reason or another.

Time to talk to them one on one and see the reasoning behind it all.