Help with this Observation

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Pistol, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Pistol

Pistol LawnSite Member

Late last summer I killed several areas of my lawn that were pretty infested with bermuda (lawn is fescue). We are in the dreaded transition zone for lawns. One month later I slit seed and did a light topdressing of worm casting and composted cow manure (the Black Kow stuff). The other areas of my lawn were fertilized with Scotts Organic lawn fert.

Observation:
    The areas that I killed, reseeded and fertilized currently (jan. 23) looks very nice & green. The old areas look normal for winter, ie: slightly yellow & dormant.

Question:
    Do you think :confused:the very nice green grass due to:
    1) good organic fert.
    2) new grass (seeded 3rd week of sept.)
    3) combo of both

i'm just curious - it is night & day in the new vs old areas.

Thanks, Pistol

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

............. 3

BTW, you should have over seeded the entire lawn, not just the areas you killed

3. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

3 is the winner

4. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

and does fescue have like a life span or something that after a while its just past its prime??????

5. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

It seems it would be hard to tell... as it is typically overseeded every year. Here in GA it if not seeded continuously and carefully cared for... its a waste of time and money...

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

What he described for the other area is pretty typical fescue response in the winter, at least in my area.

7. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Often newer Cultivars or different Cultivars will exhibit different shades of green as well as different wintering characteristics. What type of Fescue are we talking about?

8. Pistol

Pistol LawnSite Member

The seed I used is Rebel IV. I've always used Rebel on the lawn over the years.

Yes Kiril - ii should have don't the whole yard - it looks stupid right now

9. Pistol

Pistol LawnSite Member

I should have done the whole yard

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Whenever you overseed, always do the entire lawn. While your at it, put down some compost and aerate if needed.