help with timming

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by MDB270, Jun 1, 2004.

1. MDB270

MDB270 LawnSite Member

i have a craftsman mower(unfortunatly) but it has a honda 5.5hp enginge model GCV-160-A1AE and i had a bent crank so i am putting in back together and can not figure out how to time it, it has a belt driven off the crank that drives the cam and there are no marks that i can see. I would appreciate any help. THANKS
  2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

It has been a long time back since I did one but I remember there beening timing makes on the gears just like a car with a timing belt. I am wanting to say that when both marks face each other that is the place to put the belt. I am about 90% sure of this. It has been a while since I put a timing belt on a Honda.
  3. MDB270

MDB270 LawnSite Member

i will check that........thanks
  4. MDB270

MDB270 LawnSite Member

I think I figured it out. There is an arrown on the crank by the journal, when that is up the piston is top dead center, and on the cam there are two dashes and when you see both dashes even with the top of the head the belt lined up so i just have to get some gasket maker and try to fire it(after I put oil in it of course)!!
  5. pdufren

pdufren LawnSite Member

I am having exactly the same problem with my new Honda gcv-190 6.5HP. My wife hit a stump and bent the crank shaft. I replaced the crankshaft but failed to mark the timing belt (I'm obviously a novice at this). I put it all back together and I can't pull the crank rope unless I remove the spark plug. I found the indexing marks on the cam pulley and lined them up with the crank case. I put the arrow on the fly wheel pointing at the spark plug but no joy. I'm assuming that as long as I align the cam pulley timing marks with the crank case then I just need to know what to index the arrow on the fly wheel to (It's obviously not the spark plug) and then adjust the timing belt accordingly.

Please help.