Help with tired yard

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by whitenack, Jun 16, 2008.

1. whitenack

whitenack LawnSite Member

Hi guys,

I need some advice on what to do.

We bought a house a few years ago from a little old lady. It is a nice house, but the lady wasn't a good steward. The grass was mowed too short, and with the recent droughts we had, the grass is quite sparse.

I thought that I could bring it back to life by raising the mower deck and keeping it watered during the dry times, but I'm not getting the results I'd like. Now I am a few years away from moving, and I'd like to start getting the grass in "selling shape".

What do I need to do first?

Here are some details:

I only have a small area in the front to take care of. The yard in the back is nice and thick where it is well shaded by two big trees. The yard in the front faces south and takes all the heat. So, I only need to concentrate on an area that is roughly 40' x 15'.

I am not sure what grass is currently growing there.

I did a soil test and while I can't remember all the results, the ag department suggested just a 10-10-10 fertilizer.

The downspout from a gutter drops the water right in the middle of the yard, with the water flowing down the middle of the yard onto the street. The grass is especially thin and the ground seems harder in this area, but I can't tell if this would go away if I had a thicker yard or if the water is making it harder to have a thicker yard in this area.

In other words, how do you know when to just fertilize, vs doing something different like reseeding, de-thatching, aerogating, etc.?

Is 2 or 3 years enough time to try one thing and then try something else if that doesn't work?

2. whitenack

whitenack LawnSite Member

Below is a general picture of the area in question. It doesn't look terrible from this distance...
    [​IMG]

And, in certain areas of the yard, it doesn't look terrible at close range. Not great, but not bad...
    [​IMG]

However, in the area where the water flows out of the gutter (if you look in the 1st picture, it is the area from the edge of the shadow in toward the baby tree and flower bed), the grass is very poor and there is even moss. Take a look...
    [​IMG]

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Core, power rake, overseed, compost