Help with Top Soil delivery

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Serrano_Landscaping, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Serrano_Landscaping

Serrano_Landscaping LawnSite Member

I got a call for top soil delivery.

I have a Dump trailer ready for the 2008 season. I've never delivered top soil and im not sure how to charge this guy.

7 yards of screened top soil.
    I get the yard for $28.

Delivery will be about 8 miles.

can some one help me out.

2. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the GVWR on your trailer and what are you pulling it with? (assuming you are gonna deliver)

If it were me, I would price him at 280-300$ total.

you have around 200 in soil. add 10-12$ per yd delivery. Shouldn't take you too long...

3. Serrano_Landscaping

10,400 lb G.V.W.R. and my truck is a 2002 V10 Dodge Ram 2500 with over 620 ft-lbs, and upgraded the suspension to 3500. Ive pulled some serious heavy loads before.

4. Serrano_Landscaping

$300 Sounds good.

5. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

With a small truck and trailer like yours you'll probably need to make two trips, so keep that in mind when you figure your quote. 7 yards of topsoil will weigh at least 14,000 lbs.

6. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

what does the place you are buying it from do a retail delivery?? Are you buying it wholesale.

7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

if the retailer your getting it from delivers, it may be easier then. Most places down here offr free delivery with 5 yards. It would save you from having to make 2 trips. Figure 8 miles each way (I'm guessing) comes to 32 miles round trip. Your truck probably get 5-7 mpg towing so your gonna be spending $10-18 or so in fuel. It might just be an easier option.

8. Serrano_Landscaping

I spoke to the guy and gave him a $280 price and he said if I could do something lower than that;) I said umm I will call you back in a few minutes let me check my other retailer to see if I can get a cheaper price on the topsoil. Called him back 10 mins later and told him $280 is the best I can do plus I have to make 2 trips. He said I'm a little bit low on cash at the moment and is there a possible way you can lower the price a bit. I told him I'm sorry but that's the lowest I would do.

I'm here to make money and time is money and my hourly price is up there and I don't want to pocket $20 bucks for a heavy load like that.

I was going to charge him 380 to profit $160 for the 2hrs that i'll be driving around for. But I changed my mind the last minute and charged him 280 and still he cant afford that. :waving:

I got other customers to take care of that will make my bank account say BANK.

9. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

My policy........I supply, I work. Also meaning, customer does not purchase the material and if I do I am going to install it......none of this delivery or I've bought this will you do it stuff. ALL of those people are cheap.

Next time someone tells you to go lower......here is exactly what I tell people when they tick me off with such comments.

'I'll go lower if you can do one thing..........call my bank and get them to knock a few point off my interest rate.' -They get the point then.

10. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Good for you, Serrano. People want work done for free and it's solid that you didn't budge. I'll do "simple deliveries" for the right price, as in dump a load of mulch in the end of the driveway- easy Saturday chore or something.... But like tthomas, I tend to stick with a request where I can provide the materials AND do the install.

I've been in more than a few situations where people expect a "delivery" and the next thing you know they're asking you to whip out a scoop shovel and put on your design hat.