Help with trade shows

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by STONE SCAPES, Jan 10, 2008.

1. STONE SCAPES

STONE SCAPES LawnSite Member

Has any one done a local flower show and how did you make out?

2. OCL

OCL LawnSite Member

We do one every year in April it works great! Last year we were booked solid until the end of July with only 2-3 jobs not coming from the show. This year we are doing one at the end of this month, it may be to early but will see.

3. djarvis-miller

djarvis-miller LawnSite Member

I know the landscape companies that I used to recruit for a home and garden show in Ohio swore by the business they got from the show; however, it is like anything else - you have to do a thorough job of qualifying the attendees you talk with at the show. If the show is in first quarter, some attendees are there just to smell the flowers as a reminder that spring is around the corner - thus they are not shopping - just viewing. But you also get your name out to an audience that you may not be able to reach otherwise.

4. monty33

monty33 LawnSite Member

I am intrigued, what exactly is a local flower show, aside from the obvious connotations. How would it be structured for a first timer? Thanks.

5. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

We do one every year. we make loads of contacts and it is worth it everytime. We do a hardscape and a softscape rolled into what a tight little backyard might look like maybe a small water feature. We man the booth with at least 3 people all the time. As said above qualifying your contacts can be a challenge and there are always lots of tire kickers and people who really are wasting your time and theirs, but there are also serious shoppers. We do a raffle for 5 yards of mulch or a tree or something worth like a little bit, it generates interest and you get contacts, people to add to mailing lists, always good, again lots are interested in nothing more than smelling flowers, the ones who you read as being sincerely interested you should try to set an appointment with right then and there, if they decline either they don't want to be pressured oe they aren't interested, either way move on to the next person who is interested in your display, if they are just not liking the pressure then you may get a call later, just so long as you don't make it obvious that you need to move along. If they feel like you brushed them off you will not get a call later. We sell a few jobs a year from the tradeshow, I reccomend talking to your suppliers, ask them if they'll lend you materials for your display, if not ask them to cut you a deal in exchange for letting people know where the stuff came from. Either way anything you save will keep costs down. We added lighting to our booth last year and got lots of questions about it...