help with trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by just Cuts, Dec 21, 2003.

1. just Cuts

just Cuts LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I have a halmark enclosed trailer 6x12 that we purchased in Aug.Would like to know what we can do to soften the ride when going down bumpy roads. Sometimes it sounds like the wheels are going to come through the floor! thought maybe shocks or airbags? Can anyone help and has anyone delt with this? Thanks

digital photos043.jpg

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

If it sounds like the wheels are coming through the floor, wouldn't want to stiffen the ride?

3. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

the box amplifies every bump in the road and u hear it.
    open trailers make noise 2 u just cant hear it

4. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

That wheel looks pretty close to the fender. Try putting the axle under the springs to give it more clearance from rubbing. This will raise the trailer about 4", but you got to do what you got to do to keep it from rubbing. Also make sure yo are not over loading the trailer.

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

If he's not over loading the trailor then the tire should never hit the fender if it is and your sure your not over loaded its a manufacture problem. I would load the trailor as you normally would and then get it weighed you might be surprised at what the actual weight is.

Mac

6. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

From that pic do you think it looks like the tire is up and inside the fender lip. Most trailers have st least 2" inbetween the tire and the fender. It could be a manufacture mistake

7. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Never had a problem with our enclosed- I would try adjusting the ball hitch on the truck and making sure most of the weight is over the axles. Unfortunately with a single axle trailer, the ride won't be as smooth.