1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

help with trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by jro2625, Apr 23, 2004.

1. jro2625

jro2625 LawnSite Member

looking to buy a trailer pulling a 52"(max) ztr and pushmower. Not looking to go into business but just to pay for the mower. single or tandem axle? If single axle, should i get brakes? i heard it saves your truck's brakes by getting some. I also want it to be a multi-purpose for mulch and misc. stuff. Is 6X10 sufficient?

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

yes that would do, I never saw a 10 foot tandem axle, brakes wouldnt be a bad idea but its gonna cost more $$$

3. selnoil

selnoil LawnSite Member

You will not regrat having brakes on the trailer!!!!!! Even if its single axle.

4. jro2625

jro2625 LawnSite Member

Thx for the help. Do single axles come with brakes usually? I haven't seen any advertised with brakes on them. What's the cost if i have them added on to the trailer?

5. CELS

CELS LawnSite Member
    from KY

Most of the trailers around my area do not have brakes on the single axle versions. But it is a good idea, especially if you have a smaller truck.

6. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

If you are not serious getting into biz, then a 5 x 8, 5 x 10 or that 6 x 10 single axle will do. $600- $ 800 will do for trailer that size.
    The problem those trailer have come when they have to do sods !
    1 pallette (180 pieces covering 500 sqft) is almost killing them... 2700-3000 lbs, you have to put 1/4 of sods on your truck bed to relieve the weight and the rest on trailer. If you don't do sod, just one 52" Z and a push will be cake walk...