help with tree platings

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by zim bob the landscaper, Apr 9, 2007.

1. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

can you plant trees right now? i have to plant 4 trees between the height of 5-7 ft. tall. im getting these trees from cavicco green house in concord mass. and we pick them up firday and the job we said would be done on saturday. i just want to know of i could plant trees now? also the planting is in littleton mass.

2. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

Spring and fall are the best times to plant trees, and a lot of other stuff. I would do it now before it gets too warm. I've heard it is risky to plant trees in the summer because the roots can dry out. Almost anything is better than summer.

3. zim bob the landscaper

ok well we are gonna get about 6+ inches of snow soon so i dont know if i should plant them this weekend or somtimes during next week. also the property has a sprinkler system and all the plantings will be in the range of the system.

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Do it, be sure to hand water them in really good if they will get snow cover. Understand? Not with the sprinklers, by hand, right after planting and water them in real well.

5. zim bob the landscaper

thank you very much!

6. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

We as landscapers plant trees year round - the only thing that changes is the amount of care required - sheshovel's advice is good regardless of which month you plant.

7. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

Dormant planting is optimal anyway once the plant starts growing it can accomidate for its surroundings rather than mid july in 90 heat from the nursery watering it 3 times a day to your customer who might do it once.

We just finished our second planting this season. So sharpen those shovels!

8. ACutAboveNC

ACutAboveNC LawnSite Member

I prefer fall so the tree can overwinter dormant but anytime of year is ok if there is proper watering. It is basic care 101 for really anything you do.

9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Agreed. I just added the snow cover part in there to fit my advice to his situation. It of course is the most important step in planting a tree other than digging the hole.

10. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 LawnSite Senior Member

i wouldnt plant ant tress right know, id wait atleast 3 weeks