help with trees

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Scgentlman1, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Scgentlman1

Scgentlman1 LawnSite Member

Hi everyone I have 3 large oak trees in my yard, alot of the roots are sticking up above the ground, some of them are 3"- 6" above ground. I am wanting to add dirt to my yard due to wash out, I was told this will kill my trees. Any information will be helpful, would hate to loose these trees.
    Also forgot to say I will be adding about 6-8" of dirt over the roots.

2. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

6-8 inches over the top at once will be a problem. You will be adding 12-14 inches of topsoil That is a lot over roots. Here is a suggestion. and I am not sure this will work. but we did it sevral years back. O.k. my father did it and I helped about 18 years ago. We had a problem with some large oaks where our new house was to be built. we neededto build up an area for the pad. this would mean that wee needed to bring the dirt level up by almost 2 feet around these oaks. Hereis waht we did. we built the pad leaving two rather large whole in the yard around the oaks. then over the next sevral years we would add 4-6 inches of dirt to the whole. Now the yard is awesome but it took about 4 years to do this. to keep well established trees it takes a lot of time and effort.

3. Scgentlman1

Scgentlman1 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the information, I have been trying to find someone who could direct me in the right direction. I would really hate to kill the tree's.