Help with truck purchase

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Robert Burnham, Dec 16, 2000.

1. Robert Burnham

Robert Burnham LawnSite Member

I am looking at a 1995 C3500 GMC with a new 12' stake dump body. The truck has a 350 with auto, the mileage is 147000 miles. I dont know if the engine or trans has ever been replaced but it seems to run good, I took it to a GM dealer and had it checked out and they found nothing major wrong with it. What kind of experience have you guys had with high mileage trucks like this, am I looking for trouble buying a truck with this many miles? The price is in my range as I cant afford anything more than this. thanks

2. 4x4k20

4x4k20 LawnSite Member
    from ga

WE JUST BOUGHT 2 PICKUPS FOR OUR BUSINESS A 95 CHEVY 2500 4X4 AND 96 GMC 1500 4X4 THE 95 HAS 147000 AND THE 96 GMC HAS 233000 BOTH HAVE 350 ENGINES BOTH TRUCKS HAVE NOT HAD ANY MAJOR PROBLEMS WITH THEM FEW MINOR PROBLEMS BUT LESS THAN A NEW TRUCK PAYMENT I WOULD SUGESST YOU BUY IT WE ALSO HAVE A 87 K30 WE BOUGHT BACK IN 92 THAT HAD OVER 200000 MILES ON IT THAT IS STILL GOING TODAY WITH SAME ENGINE

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

If the truck was well cared for,I'd buy it.Especially being a GM truck,they seem to defy high mileage amd keep on running.My 89 GMC has 144K,original,I just had my first problem that actually stopped me,this last storm,the alternator went bad at 6 am,I made it back to the shop,thanks to my newly installed dual battery setup,had a spare,was back plowing in under an hour.I know of a lot of GM trucks that go between 250-350K easily,even loacl city miles.All my Napa dealer buys are Astro vans and S10's to deliver,he's been trying every thing out theere since 1970's.All his vans/trucks get sold at 275-325K.No engine or trans problems from any of them.He's tried Rangers,Metro's,Dakota's-none give as good service as GM's once they have over 150K on them.If you buy that truck,just make sure you have enough money around for an engine job or tranny job,because you arent getting a warranty with that one,and you never know when an engine will trans will fail.

4. Pauls Mowing

Pauls Mowing LawnSite Member

I bought a '92 Chevy C-3500 last month. 454 with an automatic, 9' dump stake. It has 163,000 miles on it. Excellent sheet metal and paint. Always been maintained at GM dealer. Prior owner said no engine work or tranny work other than tune ups and fluid/filter changes. While I've put under a hundred miles on it, seems to be an excellent truck. I've always had good luck with GM products.

Paul

5. Robert Burnham

Robert Burnham LawnSite Member

Thanks guys for your input. How does $10500 sound for this truck? It also has air, cruise, am-fm-cassette, cloth seat, trailer package and a good body with original white paint. thanks

6. Michael Fronczak

Michael Fronczak LawnSite Member

Sounds like a fair price, it's amazing what used trucks are selling for.

7. Pauls Mowing

Pauls Mowing LawnSite Member

Price sounds good.... I looked at a couple of others before I purchased this one. '92 Ford with dump box, 7.3 and 5 speed= $12,900. One in Minneapolis, same yaer and specks, but with a plow=$14,700. I paid $6500 for mine. Air, tilt, cruise cloth seat and that blasted white paint!! We now have 2 white cars and 2 white trucks.

Paul