Help with truck sticker

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Gene $immons, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

I had Kinkos enlarge my logo to a 1 foot tall, 3 foot wide sticker with clear backing, to apply to my truck door.

Question : How do I do this so that there are not a hundred little air pockets under the sticker?

Any help would be great!

2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

You talking about vinyl lettering?

3. Gene $immons

No, Its all on one sticker. The sticker is clear except for the logo. Its a big rectangle.

4. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

WhenI did my window tint I used a mild solution of soapy water No amonia and a good squeegy. spraythe area, put you decal on the area, and then take the sweegy and smoothe away. the squeege will take all of the water out and leave a nice no bubble contact area.... If you have some curves inthe body work a hair dryer works wonders for "streching" things around the bends...

If all esle fails and still hav a few bubbles. prick them with a strait pin and smooth the air out...

you aslo coudl ask the graphics place how they do it....

5. Gene $immons

I was wondering about the spraying and squeegy, but was wondering if the water messed up the sticky side. Do you think it would still stick good?

6. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, I never did an actual sticker before. We use vinyl lettering and just line it up, work side to side and squeege it out as we go. Any bubbles we try to rub out to the sides, and if we cant I use a razor to pop it and then push the air out. :)

7. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

if its a sticker no soap and water it wont bubble it will crease. so start on one side and work your way out like putting on a band aid

8. Gene $immons

say that again...in english

9. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok dont use soap and water
    1. clean the area
    2. start on the left or right side
    3. only peel small amounts of the backing at a time
    4. ones you have it started go slow
    dont take the backing off all at ones

10. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

When I had my truck done, the graphics guy was using water but no soap. The water lubricates the sign so you can push out bubbles and helps prevent creasing while you do it. That's what he told me anyway.