help with valve stuck open!!

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jonspolaris, Apr 14, 2006.

1. jonspolaris

jonspolaris LawnSite Member

I turned the water on to our sprinklers today and a zone came on, even though the controll box was turned off. I am assuming it is a valve or soloniod that is stuck open.
    The valves are rainbird 2" PGA valves.
    Would replacing the solenoid fix this?

thanks

2. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

The solenoid may have been left in the open position, or the bleed screw is open. Check those.

There may be some trash under the diaphragm, or under the solenoid actuactor. Shut the water off and remove the solenoid and check to see that it is clean. If it is clean then you will need to take the valve apart and clean the diaphragm seat. Also check to see that the diaphragm is not ripped or torn.

3. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

This makes me think of a problem that I had yesterday when somehow I accidentally got the solenoid on a Hunter PGV valve cross threaded. Never had that happen before, and I was a bit ticked about it being so easy to do.

I’m beginning to think that perhaps it would be wise to have something handy that could chase the threads on these solenoids.

4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

A steadier hand maybe? :laugh:

5. PurpHaze

Rainbird recommends the following for that particular valve.

Water will not shut off.

Controller may be operating the valve automatically.
    Check controller to confirm it is turned off.

Valve is set in the manual “ON” position.
    Use finger-tight pressure to turn the solenoid clockwise to the “OFF” position. CAUTION: Over-tightening risks the possibility of damaging the solenoid seat. Re-tighten bleed screw on top of valve if leakage is observed. Verify that the o-ring is not damaged.

Diaphragm filter screen is blocked.
    Turn off the water supply and remove the bonnet. Inspect the diaphragm filter screen located on the bottom of the diaphragm. Remove debris, rinse screen in clean water and return diaphragm and bonnet to valve body.

Solenoid is shorted or damaged.
    Turn off water supply and turn the solenoid counter-clockwise to remove. Replace with new solenoid by turning clockwise.

For flows below 10 GPM Rain Bird recommends the flow control stem be turned down two full turns from the fully open position.

6. jonspolaris

Thanks, This Valve and solenoid hasent been touched in several years. It worked find last season. We had another solenoid go bad last year on another zone. The difference was that valve wouldent open at all.

This zone comes on even when the controll box is shut off.
    Is replacing a solenoid a complex task?
    This one would be about 10 years old.

7. PurpHaze

You just cut the wires, unscrew the old solenoid, screw in the new solenoid and rewire the solenoid with new waterproof connectors. Takes about five minutes if you have easy access to the valve.

8. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

When you get my age, Hayes, nothing is steady!

9. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

We always change the whole bonnet. The logic is, a solenoid is 7-10 bucks diaphragm is 6-8 bucks. I can buy the whole new valve for 12-13 bucks. I am there on a service call 75 bucks. If I replace all the moving parts and thy should be good for another few years. If I just replace a solenoid on a 5 year old valve I saved them 4-5 bucks for now but cost them 75 when later on this summer or next the diaphragm is bad. With a cordless drill it is also a 5-minute job.

10. jonspolaris

Thanks for all your help. I now need to find a place where I can order these solenoids.
    I am assuming that the solenoid went bad and is keeping the valve open.