Help with Volunteer project

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Tbarchaser, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

If anyone is bored tonight could you help me out with a design.
    This is a volunteer project and I need to get them a design in the morning. This is in central Florida the soil is sandy and well drained. Home Depot and Lowes are supplying all materials.

First, remove everything..........Then
    With Hibiscus or crepe myrtle on each side (symmetrical balance) then Viburnum along the back of the sign with red tips or India Hawthorne across the front.Pacifica juniper in front of that curving around Myrtles to the back. With Aztec grass around perter.

This is just a shot from the hip, I really dont have a clue.

Any ideas? Please! Oh yeah zone 9a

laughman.jpg

2. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I would possibly clump 3 nanchez crepe myrtles on each side of the sign. Just indian hawthorns infront of sign since they are fairly low growing. With a low growing juniper infront of the hawthrons, possible blue star juniper. If you want some low color under the crepe myrtles, chinese fringe flower would do well under them unless you want a grassy effect, then i would think purple fountain grass would fill it in nice.

3. Tbarchaser

from Florida

Sounds good except I realized the crepe myrtles will be sticks in the winter. I need to find somthing of that size that will look good during the school season. But everything else sounds good...Thanks
    Any other ideas?

4. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Here's a quickie I cam up with.Sorry the sign is not to scale.Arborvitae's at each end.Acubas curving around the ends and Little Princess Spirea staggered in front.
    Hope the image comes out ok.
    [​IMG]

5. NickN

from Alabama

OK,image WAS there.Now it's gone?

6. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

will you be maintaining this ? viburnum grows to fast. maybe yellow lantana in front,something raised on the sides with indian hawthorne around that.juniper in front of the lantana ,and red tip in back surrounded by aztec

7. Tbarchaser

from Florida

No The janitor for the school will be maintaining it.
    I would like to use viburnum in the back to get quick hight (back of sign is really ugly) and it is the fastest way i know of to achieve a 6-8 foot hedge.

8. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

either 2 nellie r stevens hollies or 2 foster #2 hollies kept to a nice pyramidal shape would also look excellent on either side of the sign and would keep it evergreen all year.

9. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

I like NCSU's idea but since you want something evergreen instead of the crape myrtles you might want to try putting 3 windmill palms on either side instead. I'm not sure whether or not your home depot or lowes will have these and if they do they might not be larghe enough but I wanted to give you my 2 cents.

10. NickN

from Alabama

Let's try this again....
    [​IMG]