Help with wall install.

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by PerfiCut L&L, Mar 21, 2008.

1. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L LawnSite Senior Member

I have a customer who lives in a townhouse end unit. Hit back yard has about a 3' slope from left to right. He wants us to install a retaining wall between his property and his neighbors so that he can level is back yard and use it.

I need a little help on how to do this properly with regards to re-enforcement. We have walys used geogrid on all of our walls but this requires us to dig anywhere from 3' to 6' behind the wall in order to install it. In this case we dont have that ability since that would mean diggin into the neighbors yard and tearing down the bushes she has installed along the property line. Since the yard is narrow to begin with, only 15' wide, by bringing the wall 3' in we essnetially eat up a good portion of the soon to be usable space.

Is it possible, to secure the wall by another means?
  2. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

There are specific products for this application, I believe techo makes a "monumental bloc". You sacrifice some aesthetics for structural purposes.
  3. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

If it is his yard that slopes and you are building a retaining wall to level it, How would your lengths of geogrid end up in the neighbors yard?

Captains is right, a bigger and heavier block can eliminate the need for geogrid.

We had to build a vertical wall (no set back) in a staircase in which we had no room for grid. It was an engineered wall that called for 125 lb block that were 21" deep (front to back) It was a Keystone unit

also another thing to consider is the rules and regulations of the association, I have not worked in townhomes before but some condo complexes are strict on landscaping
  4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I'm going to get yelled at for suggesting it but...

How about a 6x6 wood retaining wall. Instead of using deadman you can auger down 3-4 feet and use them as posts to hold back the wooden retaining wall. In essence you are going down, not out. I forget what type of retaining wall system this is called. It may work for your situation.
  5. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen engineers spec building two segmental retaining walls, one right in front of the other so there is no gap in between the two walls.
  6. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

Did the same thing with railway sleepers and it was engineered. About 10 foot high in some sections.
  7. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

you can use overlapping back to back keystone standard units and go 8 feet high without grid.....

saw the specs at a NCMA class last month.