Help with weed ID

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by boats47, Aug 21, 2006.

1. boats47

boats47 LawnSite Member

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That's a tree. Literally. Not sure what kind, but if you look around, you'll find some around there,
    I'm quite sure.

3. boats47

boats47 LawnSite Member

Well its definately herbaceous, I'll get some better pics.

4. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks woody to me.

5. woodall1

woodall1 LawnSite Member
    from Eden NC

You should be able to contact your county extension agent and they can identify the probelm for you for free. Atleast thats the case in NC.

6. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

a broadleaf weed control such as trimec 992, three way, etc. won't have a great effect on it, look for a weed killer that has triclopyr, or is labled as a 'broadleaf weed and brush killer' trimec has a good product called brushmaster and it works good.

7. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

8. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

Roundup does the job. Don't spray to run off, just wet and go high rate. If you use Roundup Pro, use an adjuvant like Wilbur-Ellis's Syltac. May take more than one app. when plants are small like the pic. Of course that will mean replanting the grass in those spots. Any trichlorpyr product will beat it back nicely and repeated apps. on turf may do it in without killing the grass. For big plants (several feet), bloom time is when it is very susceptible and more easily controlled. That's this time of year on the west coast.
    Neal

9. boats47

boats47 LawnSite Member

I think you are right about the Jap knotweed, now that my wife and I really look at it. The Redness was throwing us off. I have tried an app of Drive and it seems to have an effect, I am going to hit one more time this weekend. I'll let you know how it faired.

Thank you for your help!!!

Boats

10. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

neal, just wanted to let you know that i have applying at a 4gpm rate (Vs. the 1.5gpm) to check my results, so far so good (last app came out good, now trying the 2nd round w/ weed control) if my weed control comes out ok, i'll be calling you and giving you some business. thanks terry