help with weed id

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grassmasterswilson, Aug 8, 2012.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Anyone got any idea about this weed? I'm seeing it in a few fescue lawns. Can't seem to find it in my weed books or what might take care of it.

The first pic show that it grows in clumps or patches. The second is a side view of some I pulled up.

grassyweed.JPG

grassyweed2.JPG

2. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

The leaf shape make it look like it's possibly new patches of buckhorn plantain. But the growth pattern doesn't appear to be plantain.

3. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

I thought that. I think it might be paspalum but it never has a seed head. If it is paspalum the recommendations are Msma, celcius, or gly......all of which aren't good for fescue!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Thin Paspalum

Well taken care of Thin Paspalum :laugh:

5. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Dallisgrass. In Centipede use Vantage .75 and Basagran .40 and sticker BUT NOT in St. Augustine.

6. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

In St Augustine, Celsius and MSO. Manor will also hurt it. 2 applications of either a month apart. Otherwise this weed looks too much like the weedy species of paspalum that I deal with in Hawaii.

7. greendoctor

Whoops, do not spray those products in a fescue lawn. Acclaim Extra and Turflon Ester.

8. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

I've used Revolver and Celsius plus MSO at medium rate with St. Augustine on coastal. So far good but does take a couple of applications. Of course, I error on the cautious side. No craters that way.

9. Do you have fescue in big kahuna state?
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. greendoctor

Nope. However, that does not mean that I am ignorant about cool season grasses or their specific needs. I would not appreciate someone pushing Three Way on warm season grasses when I know it will not work.