help with which to buy Scag or Toro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by onemooretoy, Jul 15, 2005.

1. onemooretoy

onemooretoy LawnSite Member

First I would like to say hey just found site a couple of days ago and found great information on ZTR THANKS
    Problem I am having is which ZTR to buy I have a contract to cut remote cell tower sites in my area so I need a mower largest being 3acres all to be done once a month. I look at Hustler 25/52 like it but dealer is just starting out and not sure if he will be around long. Next is a Toro Z Master 27/60 last years model new for 7800 and last is Scag Turf Tiger 27/61 demo 2005 with under 100 hours for 7800. Both of these mowers have great shops backing them up. I would like comments on the difference in the shaft drive of the Scag and the belt drive of the Toro and any other points I should consider before buying. I think I have picked two good machines and I think it is a apples to apples comparison because both have 27hp Kohler's or should I be looking at a different motor option. Again THANKS for your comments.
  2. lawnjockey75

lawnjockey75 LawnSite Member

The scag is the better mower. Our scag dealer, for about the last year and a half, has had trouble getting parts. We've had so much downtime we went with Exmark this year. Research long and hard about parts availability, because downtime causes more loss than anything. As far as cut quality, I dont believe one is any better than the other. If you mow alot of hills, go with the scag, it sticks better than All!