1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help with wild Violets

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Athletic field, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Athletic field

Athletic field LawnSite Member

Has anyone had luck using Drive on violets. I've used vessel and quick silver with little results. I had a yard over run with clover, ground ivy and Violets. Vessel and QS took out almost all the clover and ground ivy, but not the violets. Would a Drive/Vessel mixture do the trick?
  2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I only did a few spots--but--Drive worked very well on violets. Add some crop oil or surfactant of course.
  3. FCS Services

FCS Services LawnSite Member

Speedzone??? - that's what we use
  4. junior091273

junior091273 LawnSite Member

I've always had good luck with Momentum on Violets.

Even a good batch of Three Way. 8-9 oz per gal.
  5. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

Drive should be your secondary chem in the mix. It helps greatly. Start with something containing triclopyr (ester is better). 2,4-D and dicamba help even more. Mix this w/Drive and it's toast. Speedzone southern didn't work for me.
  6. Carl0229

Carl0229 LawnSite Member

My once beautiful 1.5 acres of lawn is currently(past 3 years) been increasingly invested with wild violets. I have tried the Lowes and Home Depot sprays, all of which don't work! I am seeking the solution for this problem. Hoping that one of you can help. I have heard that dicamba or banvel will do the trick, but am cautious about them because they seem to be for professional lawn caretakers. Thanks Carl
  7. JWTurfguy

JWTurfguy LawnSite Senior Member

Lilmarvin is right.
  8. Joshuakwhit

Joshuakwhit LawnSite Member

Turflon ester works great!
  9. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

Are you saying speedzone southern w/ drive didnt work or by itself?

I mix speedzone southern w/ drive and lesco hawkeye spreader, oh yeah fries the chit out of stuff.
  10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Look for the new type of WeedBGone that also kills crabgrass. It also contains "quinchlorac" which is the same as Drive. Add detergent or surfactant, or maybe crop oil. Be ready to repeat as needed.