Help with Wright Stander Cut Quality

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cutedge, Sep 2, 2007.

1. cutedge

cutedge LawnSite Member

Any fixed deck Wright Stander owners, I need some help on how it should be set up for better cut quality. It's a 48'' 17 Kawi. It seems as if it's laying the grass down and leaving a lot of stringers and deck gets a lot of buildup. Blades are always sharp. What is the best way to have the deck set up? How many blade spacers, what setting on the frame, blades...etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. leafitalawn

leafitalawn LawnSite Member

I have several 32" standers and I find they cut best when we drop the blades as low as possible in the deck (4 spacers I think...). Also, use wheels to set the level of cut. Make sure that front is slightly lower than rear (we had to change the rear level that was set from the factory to the highest setting..). You can also change tire pressures to fine tune if needed...

3. WhitakerServices

WhitakerServices LawnSite Member

I don't know about the wright deck but on my fixed decks ( and with most floaters too ) the best cut comes when you have a slight downward pitch (the front of the deck is maybe 10% closer to the ground than the back).

4. Bigdog9501

Bigdog9501 LawnSite Member

What kind of blades are you using? I have the Wright Stander 19/48 cut and I get my best cut with scag high lifts blades. They made a big difference. JMO

5. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Do a search on Wright Stander. Every thread about the Stander always turns into a symposium on how to get a better cut no matter what the topic starts as.

6. cutedge

cutedge LawnSite Member

I run the standard wright blades. It's weird cause on my properties that are perfect it cuts wonderful but get a few weeds and weak grass and it's all downhll from there. I've heard the 48''s blades spin slower than, say, the 52'', is this true?

7. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I just started using the Scag high-lifts.....great blades......

8. Bigdog9501

Bigdog9501 LawnSite Member

According to the website both the 48 and 52 have the same blade tip speed. The highlifts will help with the straggler problems as it will pull the weed up and help it get cut. That has been my experience.