help wiyh hydro pump please

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by swoods33, Feb 12, 2012.

1. swoods33

swoods33 LawnSite Member

hope someone can help,I have been rebuilding a older exmark turf tracer and I have ran into a problem a wheel stopped turning.We found 2 stuck springs in the pump after freeing them and cleaning and a seal kit,proceeded to replace bearings in wheel motors.
    ok now all was well for about a hour and noticed rt. wheel getting sluggish and slower to the point of at a low idle you can almost stop the wheel,not so much at a high idle. I have tried repeatedly to get any air out and now I have noticed more heat in the system than i care to feel.
    Please help it's my only mower and i am just tring to get started with a small business.

I know most everyone says replace things but i can't afford the 600 for a new one and can't find anyone to rebuild or sale re mans,any other suggestions Thanks

sorry I knowmy grammer stinks

2. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

Did you clean the lines and wheel motor out really well? If not the pump is probably gunked up. Doesn't take much.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. swoods33

swoods33 LawnSite Member

I have flushed 4 quarts of oil through it and when it was apart cleaned both wheel motors and the one pump that had the stuck springs. I have also noticed that that the controls are very easy to squeeze,witch is nice buth the other side is normal feeling but a little more noisy. Makes no since to me. Could it be possible the springs in that cylinder block froze up again and creating a little cavition and the weak pressure like before. I only cleaned it up I did not replace it doing everything I can to spend as little as possible till I get more work and Mabey a new or at least a newer one and have this as a spare, but till then this is my only sorce of income. Thanks for any and all help
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. djagusch

from MN

Most likely the springs are shot. The other thing is the piston to bore shouldn't be swapped between them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. swoods33

swoods33 LawnSite Member

So each piston has its own home that it should go back in to.could this also be the creamy looking oil in the resivor or charge lines breaking down. If line are sucking closed couldn't this be part of the problem to. If so do they have to be replace with OEM or can I use other high pressure hose
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

If a line is sucking closed....that's bad
    Did you replace the hydro filter?
    Creamy oil is air in the system.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. swoods33

swoods33 LawnSite Member

I have replace filter twice and ran 4 qts. of oil through it trying to flush it. It's pulling strait just weak at the low idle. Someone told me its moisture. So that's why I have been flushing with new oil. I am just lost.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. swoods33

swoods33 LawnSite Member

New symptom - just noticed with machine turned off and in neutral the left wheel is real easy to turn not quite free wheel but not far from it. The rt one is hard to turn. Thought by pass screw was loose but it's not. Even swapped the screws and still the same. Wow what's next??
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. djagusch

from MN

Does the wheel motor turn freely with the hoses disconnected? If so the problem is in the wheel motor. I would recommend not running it too much trying to figure out what is going on, its just moving crap/filings around which isn't good.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Is the left side pump the one that had the stuck pistons?
    Sounds like they're stuck now, and pumping air into the left wheel motor.
    Id look inside that pump again.
    Posted via Mobile Device