1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

help, WT-20 carburetor

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by dho, Jul 14, 2008.

1. dho

dho LawnSite Member

i have a craftsman 16" chairsaw, used once about 20 years ago. now, i can not start the engine. put couple drops of gas right in the carburetor, it fires. but it would not suck fuel from the tank. the fuel filter in the tank looked clean. took two plates off the carburetor, it seems that (fuel pump and metering) diaphragms are all in good condition.
    what is wrong and where should i start?
  2. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

20yrs ago :dizzy: wow that's some sleeper. You did not mention if you have a spark, best to check. If thats ok and the fuel seems to be getting through it might have siezed piston rings. That would need a dismantle to check. What you could try is to remove the plug and squirt a small amount of oil down the bore and spin the engine over a few times before refitting the plug. This would temporary restore compression to the cylinder and will help with induction. 20yrs, can't get over that. Here's hoping you get the ol' girl running ok. Good luck Phil :)