Help!! Zero Turn on Slopes!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cb31, Jun 21, 2007.

1. cb31

cb31 LawnSite Member

I'm a first-timer on this site but I figured this is the best place to ask many professionals their opinion. I just purchased a Hustler Fastrak 54" with a Kawasaki and I love it, however....I have this large slope in my backyard, probably 15-20 degrees. Can someone please tell me the best way to mow it with this mower? I had no problem going side to side and up and down with a tractor mower but this mower is much trickier. I have zero turn experience but I've never had this kind of hill to mow.

First attempt: Went straight down and planned to turn before the bottom to come straight back up (was gonna mow the "turning area" at the very bottom when I was finished) but the tires lost traction, I put it in full reverse and just spun the tires, I tried to turn out of it but it slid sideways until I went into the ditch. Had to get a tow truck with a winch to get me out. Hour meter still said .7!!

Second Attempt: Tried going side to side but kept sliding down the hill towards the bottom. I had to keep the front end pointed up to even keep a straight line going across.

I love this mower but I feel like it might be wrong for my yard!! Help!! I just bought it yesterday for over $5,000! Side note: There is no flat-spot at the bottom of the hill at all, it ends in a ditch.

2. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

You should of bought a stander....or a walk-behind...they are much better on slops that ZTR....

3. david shumaker

david shumaker LawnSite Senior Member

I use my 36 inch walk behind for yards with alot of slopes and ditches. If it is a small area, I just use my trimmer to cut the hill or ditch. I also use my 21inch walk push mower on some slopes. I can cut a yard with alot of slopes and ditches faster with the 36 inch walk behind than a ZTR.

4. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

ZTR + Steep Slopes = Trouble. I'd suggest you continue to use your tractor type mower or get a walkbehind. Many posts in the files on this topic. Do a "Search" and in the mean time be careful.

5. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

that mower is gonna flip over and crush you.

6. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here...I dont mess with slopes because 2 things will happen. 1--You'll roll it or 2. You'll tear the turf up. I roll my Quick 36 off to take care of that problem.

Man don't push your luck on hills...you dont wanna be under that thing if she rolls. Just do a search for Z turn deaths on here...you'll see.

7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Walk behinds are for slopes not ZTR's, that can kill you. Has happened before.

8. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats what I have the X720 tractor for. Z's arent good on hills. Like said above, use a walk behind or tractor.

9. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like you're gonna sell it now :)

10. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

The fasttrak was not designed for slopes. The hydro pumps will not hold on that slope. The Super Z With the large 21 cc Pumps Can hold on that type of degree or angle, But still is dangerous. The walk-behind is best suited for large slopes.How fast are you trying to mow.