1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

!HELP! Zoysia roots only 1/2 inch deep

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by mrmumbels, Mar 29, 2008.

1. mrmumbels

mrmumbels LawnSite Member

I sodded my empire zoysia lawn 1.5 years ago and it was amazing all last

summer. I was mowing at 4 inches all summer and noticed there were many

areas that dried up very easily. I started mowing at 2 inches this year and

much of my lawn is always curled up and dry while other areas are beautiful.

I finally took a shovel out a few minutes ago and compared the root system

of the nice zoysia to that of the dried up never wanting to grow zoysia. The

good zoysia has roots going down about 6 inches. The bad zoysia has roots

maybe half an inch down. I noticed this cause i was pulling weeds and it

kinda seemed like pulling up on a carpet where the carpet lifts up a bit. I

figured since it was lifting up the roots must not be in good. It has been

1.5 years is there any way to get this stuff rooted in?
    here's the link to pics

2. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

How much shade does your turf receive? Zoysia really doesn't tolerate shade to well. What type of fertilizing program have you been using? When you mow are you just removing a third of the grass?
  3. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Very nice pictures, does all the turf get irrigated ? Could be many things, Could be large brown patch,could have rust,or an over app. of nitrogen, and in some areas Zoysia is susceptible to damage by nematodes.
  4. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I suspect grub damage. It of course could be be one of the other suggestions put forth, but my guess is grubs. Lift a square foot of turf, and do a grub count. I would do this in an area of the lawn where healthy turf meets bad turf. If you find more than 6 grubs.... that is likely the problem. I've seen lawns this spring where as little as a leaf rake or a blower can lift turf right off the soil. Grubs.....
  5. mrmumbels

0 Shade I fertilize with 10-10-10 3 times a year
  6. mrmumbels

Thanks, it all gets irrigated good. I don't think it's too much nitrogen since i don't realy fertilize much. I've thought about nemotodes but if it were i would think it would affect the whole lawn.
  7. mrmumbels

never seen a grub in my lawn ever. I've moved sprinklers a million times digging and diggin and i just dug those two holes to see the roots and still have never seen a grub worm. Although i havent dug along the edge like you said.
  8. Indy Kyle

Indy Kyle LawnSite Member

Is it all getting watered evenly? Make sure it is deep and infrequent. Also looks like the bad area is the area that is in the shade. Might as well just cut that tree down. Jk
  9. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

Another thought is, What type of soil do you have? From you photos it looks like a sandy loam. It could be your soil is drying out to quick, not enough organic material to retain moisture. I'm not sure about palm trees but they could also be competing for the moisture. When you water does the water soak through the soil or does it sit on the top? If it sits on the top you soil may be hydrophobic. Just a couple more things to look at.
  10. mrmumbels

Soil is definately hydrophobic here. It's like a fine powder and hates for water to go through it.