Help!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by haligan, Jan 25, 2006.

1. haligan

haligan LawnSite Member

I just replaced the engine on my surfer. I am working with a 20 hp vanguard engine, recoil start. the problem I am having is that I have no visible wire running from the stator to the rectifier. I'm not sure that is right, but after looking at the diagram, I think that what they are called. Can some one tell me if this wire comes from the factory already attached or is this something I have to do? If I have to do it, how is it done? I have a wire on my old engine, but can not see where it is coming from.

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

This may be a wire that you must transfer from the old engine to the new engine. It is this way with other replacement engines.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Since there are a few variations of this charging system it's hard to tell which you have. I would suggest removing the blower housing (top cover) on both engines and compair the wiring and remove what is needed from the old engine and install it on the new one. This note was on the same page as the replacment engine number I posted in your previous thread; NOTES:
    If the original engine is equipped with a Six Pin Wiring Harness transfer to the replacement engine.

Maybe this will help.

4. haligan

haligan LawnSite Member

Restorob,
    I have one black wire running from the old engine that connects to a regulator. I cannot tell where it is connected inside of the engine. I was told by Briggs and stratton that the new engine (351772-1045) does not hve a charging system.

5. Restrorob

Does your unit require a charging system ?

6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Says recoil start on first post :confused: btw have fun recoil starting a 20hp vanguard :realmad:

7. haligan

haligan LawnSite Member

I'm not sure if it needs a charging system or not. I know that it needs power from some where to engage the electro clutches. This engine is on a great dane surfer. I looked at a diagram which shows that the black wire is coming from a Stator and going to a rectifier regulator. Hope this help you understand.

8. Restrorob

If you have a electric PTO clutch and the new engine has no charge stator you must remove the flywheel on both engines and remove the stator off the old engine and install it on the new one along with the engine wire harness. You must also use the old flywheel with the magnets on the inside. Then you should be back in business.

With the compression release these engines have they rope start very easily.

9. haligan

haligan LawnSite Member

Thanks fo you help!

10. haligan

haligan LawnSite Member

Restorob,
    How hard is it to remove the fly wheel and stator?