Help!!@!!!@

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by briggsman65, Mar 5, 2006.

1. briggsman65

briggsman65 LawnSite Member

I have a 5 HP craftsman tiller. It was bought new in 2001. I tilled with it 3 times in 2001. From this point on it sat until this year. I pulled the carburetor off and did a deep clean on it and put it back together. The motor on it is a 5 HP briggs. It would start 3 weeks ago when I would put gas in the top of the throttle and run on it's own. Now 3 weeks later it will start but it will ONLY run when I am spraying a continuous feed of carb cleaner in the throttle. What in the world do I need to do to get it to start and run normal??? I have a funny feeling you are going to say replace the gaskets .........but I guess then the question would be what kind of info am I going to need to get the proper rebuild kit and where do I find this info?

2. down size

down size LawnSite Member
    from indiana

Most likely 1 of 2 things float may be stuck shut or diaphragm gasket in carb hardened up both are easy to fix.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

First thing to do is post the model and type numbers off the engine so we can look it up and see which style carb. you have. You may have to replace the whole carb. depending on which style you have.

4. briggsman65

Model # 137202
    Type # 1125E1
    Code # 991029YA

5. Restrorob

There is no rebuild kit for this carb., You must purchase parts seperately.
    You need; (1) Diaphragm Part # 272538S
    (1) Tank gasket Part # 692241
    (1) Carb. to engine gasket Part # 273113S
    Remove everything possible from the carb. and spray carb. choke cleaner through all passages and fuel pick-up screens and reassemble with the above parts. If it still doesn't work properly a new carb. is in order; Part Number: 498298
    CARBURETOR
    US$ 77.85
    You can purchase all parts on-line at the link below, Just enter the part# and click search. http://www.briggspowershop.com/Brig...5D4B1F06826601E3030E8786BFBC8BE76531D4BB6D167

6. briggsman65

One last favor can you give me a link to a linkage/spring diagram for my carburetor in case I forget where stuff goes when I try replacing these items.

7. Restrorob

Use the same link I posted, Instead of entering a part number enter your model number in the boxes below that, Then click search then click view PDF file and a complete parts break-down will come up. Save the file to your computer for future reference. Another idea is to take a couple of pictures before you take it a part.

Good Luck.

8. briggsman65

Ok ok I ordered the stuff you spoke of and put it on the carbureator. I still have the same problem. The only way the tiller will run is by feeding gas into the carburetor thru the throttle. Is there any other suggestions?? Thank-you ahead of time for your genuine assistance!!

9. Restrorob

The only thing left I can come up with is possibly the main jet is still plugged, The pic. below shows the main jet area. Use a small piece of wire and feed it up into the jet hole and work it around a little, Do not force too large of a wire into the hole or it could make it larger then it would run too rich. Also in the pic. is part reference number 127A which is part # 691742 welch plug, Behind this welch plug are a couple passages that could be clogged up also. I use a super small drill bit and carefully drill a hole in the center and screw a small sheet metal screw in the hole but ONLY one turn and grab the head with vise grips and pull it out, After cleaning with wire as above Install the new one with the concave up then lightly tap the center with the socket end of a 3/8" drive extension. If after doing this and it still wont run plan on a new carb.

Good Luck

Briggs Carb..JPG

10. briggsman65

My tiller is now running like it should.:dancing: