Help

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Adam3669, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Adam3669

Adam3669 LawnSite Senior Member

I had a lady just call me wanting a bid for cleaning up some of her beds and cutting back her roses? and ornamentals. The reason i have a ? there is because i have never heard of this. And what exactly does cutting back ornamentals involve?

Thanks, Adam

2. Joey bag a' donuts

Joey bag a' donuts LawnSite Member

Ornamentals are a perenial grass, to cut them back just means to cut them down to a little above the ground.

3. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Call the lady back and tell her you can not do it!!!
    You need to become educated as to the trimming and pruning of plants before you do it for other people. Take a few classes at a local College. Most plants have different ways of caring for them. Learn that first.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Ornamentals are ANY type of deciduous plants that require annual, semi-annual, or bi-annual pruning. Pruning is done by careful selection of what limbs, branches, leaders, or buds are to be removed. Different types of plants require different types of cuts at DIFFERENT TIMES of their cycle (year). You also have to know how MUCH to take off at different times. If you don't know,...don't go. Simple as that...play it safe. I gone and done consultations for people that have had someone come in and and "do some trimming". They would say things like "Oh, I just love this bush...it getsSUCH beautiful blossoms on it...We look forward to it every year." Then they ask me "How will this do? Will it bloom well?" I have to tell them "CERTAINLY it will! Next YEAR!!" When they ask why,..I tell them because it was pruned improperly...at the wrong time...Whoever trimmed or pruned it, cut all the future blossoms off of it.