1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Help!!!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by RTallday, May 14, 2001.

1. RTallday

RTallday LawnSite Member

I have a question regarding engine swapping. What has to be changed in a 79 k-20 to change it from a small block to a big block? Thanks for the help.

-Rich

2. MTCK

MTCK LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

I believe the bellhousings are the same. You'll need new motor mounts though I think. More cubes are good. Go with it.

MT

3. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

Not 100% sure here, but I think a cooling system upgrade (from a 3-core to a 4-core radiator) may also be necessary.

4. Pauls Mowing

Pauls Mowing LawnSite Member

Let me know what happens Rich, I'm thinking of going in the other direction with my '92 C-3500 dump truck, 454 to a 350.

Paul

5. 4x4k20

4x4k20 LawnSite Member
    from ga

i had one 79 k20 that i did this too you will need big block ehxt. manifolds all the big block brackets for alt ps air you will need a differet flywheel the big blocks are external balance the bellhousing is the same you use the same motor mounts will need a bigger rad. the fuel pump will have to be one for a big block 4x4 if yours is a 4x4 they are a little shorter i cant remember everthing but it is not hard to do i wished i would have never sold that truck it was a hoss but dont look for good gas mileage

6. RTallday

RTallday LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses guys. Also, the transmission, will it bolt up with no adapters? I have the 4 speed granny gear trans. I believe i already have the 4 core radiator. Im glad all i have to change is the motor mounts and all the little stuff. No big deal really. Thanks.
    -Rich

7. RTallday

RTallday LawnSite Member

Also, The reason i ask, is because at the machine shop right now is my 1968 427 block. Hope to build a crazy motor, move that truck a little quicker!!