Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by peacebridgedan, May 4, 2006.

1. peacebridgedan

peacebridgedan LawnSite Member

Hi, I have approx. 2,500 sq ft yard, which I just tilled. I want to start a new lawn. The soil is hard clay, and before I got the rake out, (5 days) it re-hardened. I am trying to level it, as the grade is very uneven. Am i better renting a sod cutter, or roto tiller, to loosen the soil while pulling it with a landscape rake? After that do you recomend a garden roller, before adding topsoil? Your Help is Greatly Appreciated, Dan
  2. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

just blade it over to a rough grade then add a little more top soil to cover up any rush then fert and seed then later worry about braking up the clay by amending the soil.
  3. blaze347

blaze347 LawnSite Member

-re-till to 4"
    -p/u any rocks/debris
    -use a landscape rake or something you can drag behind you to level and break up any clumps
    -put down starter fertilizer
    -roll with an EMPTY roller to establish seed to soil contact(crucial step, if you don't get good contact the seed won't germinate)
    -keep moist

on a side note..if you are going to retill, you might as well amend the soil and get it tilled into the ground. I don't know the BEST thing to use for clay break up, but I would use 1-2'' of organic matter then till it in. You might want to post the clay question in this area and the organic area of this forum. There are different schools of thought whether gypsum,lime etc.. actually break up clay. One thing for sure, organic matter will work because the particles "wedge" between the clay particles to keep soil from compacting.
  4. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

If it is hard clay I'd amend it before you try and seed. Till in a heap of good compost, then grade and seed.