Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by james.kerr1, May 9, 2006.

1. james.kerr1

james.kerr1 LawnSite Member

Here Is My Story I Just Got Out Of The Marines In March And As Soon As I Got Home Here Wonderful Florida I Started My Business,
    All Legal And All That Good Stuff...... I Was Medically Separated For Combat Related Injuries, Since I Start In March I Have 18 Accounts In A Very Competitive Area Which Is About $1800 A Month
    And On Side Jobs Such As Landscaping I Average About 800 To 1000
    Extra A Week. But I'm Having Problems Landing Big Commercial Accounts In Which I Want I Love This Business And I Take Pride I What I Do Is There In Suggestions Please Any Tip

Lightning Lawncare
    James

2. MDLawnman

MDLawnman LawnSite Member

I wish that I have the magic answer but I'm not sure that there is one. Patience first, advertise, network with people that you know. I don't think that anyone has just started out and been successful right away. For me - I'm three years into the business and just starting to see some light in the tunnel! HOWEVER - I'm certain that the Corps gave you an excellent start with pride in yourself, self discipline, and the will to win. YOU CAN DO IT.

3. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

First, let me thank you for your service.

Second, walk before you run. Your company is producing good numbers only being in business for 2 months.

kc

4. james.kerr1

james.kerr1 LawnSite Member

thanks gents

5. Loy's Home Services  LLC

Loy's Home Services LLC LawnSite Member

Yes, THANK YOU for your service. Sounds like your off to a good start. Advertize! Alot of the big guys put up to 10% of gross profits into marketing. Get signs, t shirts hats, look professional. Good luck!:usflag:

6. Sky King

Sky King LawnSite Member

Hey I am just up the road, Spring lake ( Close to brooksville ) You have made a good start, I have found the yellow pages are good.

7. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

just keep doing what you are doing, word of mouth will take over..... and a big GRUNT for the MARINE CORPS>... uuuuuuurrrrrrrrrraaaaagggggggghjhhhhhhhh.....:usflag:

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I recommend being in business for an absolute minimum of 3-4 years before considering commercial contracts. This is because the lowest-bidder issue can and will take the inexperienced Lco for a ride so hard, it can break you in months flat.

In my 5th year I have one of these contracts, it is my first one and I find it quite challenging to stay within budget while the entire board of supervisors every Monday comes around with their load of little special requests and oh could you do this and that and complain about this and the other, neverending with these guys. Were I not to the point where I can make the choice of losing the account over any issue without batting an eye, I would likely be in dire straits by now. I'm already a few hundred over budget but it is a good thing I catch on FAST and there will be no more budget overages... Matter of fact, I ain't doing squat until I'm within budget and if they want to fire me, it's no big deal because I just don't care about $600 / month that much.

Hope that helps.