Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lizard Lawn Care, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Lizard Lawn Care

Lizard Lawn Care LawnSite Member

If this is a little long, I am sorry......but:

Last week I noticed on 1 of my yards there were dead tracks throughout the entire yard..:confused: meaning, wherever I drove my (piece of junk) 2005 gravely 34z, there were tire marks.... and it was dead, not ruts, digs, but dead.... I automatically assumed this was the fault of the homeowner (somehow)..... I figured he fertilized and did not water... or something like that......

this week, a second yard.... this time the tracks were from my 21inch push mower.... same symptoms!!! I am like "what the hell":confused:
    (both these yards poorly watered)

Now, 2 weeks ago, my oil filter came loose on the gravely while in the trailer, I hand tightened it and all was well.... there was a small oil mark on the wood trailer floor, I thought nothing of it!!
    I also carry my round up on the floor in the fron of the trailer,,,, but I have never spilled it and it would have to be alot to make it to the back of the trailer where the 21" mower is..........

I (today) degreased and pressure washed my trailer floor.....

Question:
    Could oil stick to the tires and cause damage toa entire yard like that???
    "" Round up""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Do you think I have solved this problem......is it something else???????
    cant replace every yard I mow,...... if you know what I mean??????

:confused: :hammerhead: :confused: :hammerhead: :confused: :hammerhead:

Thanks,
    Thomas
    Question:

2. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Were these lawns that were not irrigated? If so, the dead tire track lines were probably from the weight of your mower bending and then breaking blades of grass that were half dead already from the drought we've been having (up until Alberto blew through).

3. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

First of all whats wrong with your 34Z? Ours has over 400 hours now and it is an amazing mower in every aspect.

Now to your problem. It has to be the oil. I cant think of any other reason for a lawn to die in just the tire tracks. Cleaning the trailor good should cure that problem but there is no guarantee of that. Thats one of the strangest problems i have ever heard of.

4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Nah I wouldnt think thats the case. We have had severe drough here before and we never had a problem like he is describing. I could be wrong though you just never know.

5. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

Happens up here in MA when the temp is in the 90's and where there is poor irrigation. Never seen it with a 21".

6. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

You probably just tracked some fungus around the lawn with the mower tires.

7. Coumbe

Coumbe LawnSite Senior Member

I Had The Same Problem 3 Years Ago. I Went To My Dads House And Power Washed The Trailer And Mower. Where I Washed The Trailer I Had No Problem. Where I Washed The Mowers I Had 2 Very Large Dead Spots. Pops Was Pissed, But He Loves Me So All Was Good.

8. Triple R

Triple R LawnSite Member

100% possitive it was the drought/lack of water. I have also done excatly the same with my ztr during the summer in poorly irrigated lawns. Watering should help in recovery. Disease, oil, and Roundup impossible from what you described.

9. Lizard Lawn Care

Lizard Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Thank to all!!