1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bholmstrom12, Jun 2, 2007.

1. bholmstrom12

bholmstrom12 LawnSite Member

I bought an older Bunton walk behind 48". It is cutting way to low, put all spacers at top of blades, front two wheels are all the way adjusted...fixed deck, is there any way to achieve raising the cut. tires are inflated properly..
    also since i raised the blades up the cut is bad missing grass pieces.....I need about an inch more of clearance..thanks
  2. Big Bad Bob

Big Bad Bob LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 5

shouldn't the spacers be on the ground side of the blades instead of on top of blades? that gets the blade higher. should be between the bolt and the blade.
  3. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah if it's anything like my scag, where the blade bolt goes all the way through the spindle, then you can adjust the height with the spacers as well.

Basically you're adjusting the blade height by the number of spacers you have between the top of the blade and the bottom of the spindle under the deck. Throwing spacers everywhere else won't make any difference. On my Scag I had to play with a combination of front caster spacers and blade spacers to get the precise height I was looking for.
  4. I had an old Bunton once that had an adjustment for the rear axel. The rear axel bolted on and there were different bolt holes in the frame of the mower to bolt the axel to.
    Kinda hard to spot the other mounting holes. They get filled up with grass, and I think the mounting plate for the axel covers some of them up. But just look around where the rear axel bolts to the mower and see if there aren't other mounting holes.
  5. jwl5510

jwl5510 LawnSite Member

check caster bushings they may need replaced
  6. bholmstrom12

bholmstrom12 LawnSite Member

Guys, I did take the spacers from the bottom of the blade and moved them to the top, still not much clearance, mower is probably in the 1980s. dont know about moving the axle, looks like everything above and belts wont be able to do that any more info? thanks