help???

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by treegal1, Aug 26, 2008.

1. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

what to charge??
    we have had several requests(from hard core lurkers) to help them set up there operations. should I pre package all the toys and gear and send them that and then go teach them how to do it?? or just get a few$ for the diy plans and charge a fee to instruct them??

and if I had to send phill for a week or 2 and set up the gear and show them how it works what arrangements should I make???

they want the works, brewer, spray rig, compost,screen's, fish oil, bio diesel, the whole 9 yards spelled out to the nides........

2. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Either way you do it, just make sure you give them enough training and understanding (written or consulting) to make sure you are not giving a blind man a pistol. If they pay you, you will want to cover your butt. Good luck!

I have a friend who does home inspections. He pays more insurance than another friend who is a chiropractor. Insurance is fairly important once you get into manufacturing... might want to weigh that into the decision.

3. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Also,

If you just sold the plans... you can have it automated on your website. They pay and download them, you didn't have to do a thing. I personally would lean towards that... but I lean more intellectual and you more applicable and hands on, so manufacturing it might fit your style better.

As far as cost... you have a lot of trial and error to be where you are at.. it is worth a lot!

4. growingdeeprootsorganicly

growingdeeprootsorganicly LawnSite Senior Member

tree,
    is your secret to beating crab grass organically included too? thats worth alot if you really have figured that out, think of the difference you would make to the industry and mostly environment if you could possibly share that with the community.!

i think you know the answer to your question about price and what to include.
    your one smart cookie! " i like to bounce idea's off peoples heads too when i know or think i know to get a different perspective of things. i get that

i guess it matters all on what they want and are able to spend.
    you got to pay to play right? put all the cards on the table and see what they want to spend, you guys only know what you have put into you biz and the ups and downs figuring it out. whats that worth?

with a little research most can find good equipment but to offer the right knowledge to use it and the recipe to success is worth way more! in my book anyway

good luck what ever you do

5. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Stick to what your good at, if you move too much from your core business you need to look at it very carefully

A good home builder knows how things go together and what the proper sequence is, not only a craftsman but a knowledgeable craftsman

You could put a pile of lumber on site and give me a book and I guarantee you it would look nothing like a house, I may not be able to even make a dog house out it

What you do works because you are a knowledgeable craftsman, it may not work as well (or at all) for someone else, you also only get about 20 hours of sleep in week, many do not or are not willing to work as hard as you do.

just my 2 cents

How much to charge?? they couldn't afford it, is where you start

6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

All the expenses of travel obviously need to be covered.

You may get an 'all expense paid trip to' - Hooterville, IL one day!

Profit vs. Perks. :)

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Expenses + consult fees = what Bill said.

8. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

There are a lot of consulting companies out there... just sell them a peice of equipment and either have a consulting fee built in or charge extra. Then have a consulting fee for each time you go visit...

Or just start up franchise... would that not be the same almost? Then they can have a meeting so many times a year and get any questions answered? Also you can help with any problems along the way? I don't know... if you do that just make sure you cherry pick your franchisees, my dad is a franchisee, except it is a little backwards... he is basically showing the parent company how to run the business, even was in charge of the other franchisees the parent company brought in for a while. He finally brought in his buddy to help them so he could focus on his businesses, and he was tired of putting up with the nonsense they kept throwing at him.

9. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Franchises are a legaleez nightmare and take a minimum of 10 to 12 months to get approved. Step away quickly

10. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

lol... just a thought...