1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by boomerbrian, Nov 20, 2009.

1. boomerbrian

boomerbrian LawnSite Member

I'm a newbie and as such have no cash to lay out for a website. I've designed my own using MS Producer. I would like to put up on the net, but (ya there's always a but) for free.
    Can anyone help me? (and if this is already on this forum -sorry).

Thanks, Boomer

Romans 8:28
  2. Blue2000

Blue2000 LawnSite Member

I believe Hosting providers like Godaddy.com offer free hosting if you allow them to display their ad banners at the top. You could always do a facebook page, or a blog at blogger.com.

My site
  3. boomerbrian

boomerbrian LawnSite Member

That's a good idea about FB. Thanks!
  4. roushjh

roushjh LawnSite Member
    from KS

I agree Blog is the way to go for your situation.
  5. Precedence

Precedence LawnSite Member

Bluehost offers hosting at a good price, plus a lot of extras. It's only $6.95/month.
  6. commercialnetinc

commercialnetinc LawnSite Member

Take this the right way...

It's better to NOT have a Website than to have a crappy one that displays third-party ads. Invest what money you have at this point on gas/petrol so that you can drive around neighborhoods and knock on doors for the purpose of meeting locals and handing-out your business cards. Save $500 from your gross income towards hosting and Website services (that's a good start), but don't put a half-baked site online that throws more ads at people.

The minute someone sees one of those annoying insurance Flash ads with the dancing silhouettes, they'll click-away from your site. Worse, you'll be branded and judged in a negative light by prospective clients. Your competition will love that, though, eh?

7. Blue2000

Blue2000 LawnSite Member

On second thought I agree that if you use a free hosted site it will look pretty crappy/unprofessional with the providers banner across the top. I would use Godaddy website tonight that is what I started with before I built my current site.....you're looking at about $75 to start between the domain name and the website tonight product

8. commercialnetinc

commercialnetinc LawnSite Member

9. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

I'd agree to no site over one with third party ads. At a minimum I would buy domain for $12 then forward it to a free site like wordpress.com where your website actually exists. saves hosting costs. email if you need help with that but is pretty simple.