Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mountain air, Sep 10, 2002.

1. mountain air

mountain air LawnSite Member
    from alberta

im having trouble persuing commercial accounts .
    phoned a bunch of property managment firms they told me to fax a proposal well how is that posable if i havent seen the propertys,
    another one asked for a portfolio are they for real give me a blue print if its landscaping and give me a address if its maintenance. how do i do this, do i drive around and ????????

i have residential now and would trade 20 to 1 for commercial
    what a head ache.................landscaping different storey but would trade 10 to 1

any takers

any info would help out alot
  2. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Not real sure, but it looks like your a good 3 day drive. But if you want to sure.

I got a nice one that park ther cars half way in the lawn, and some how get a S@#* load of stirofoam(sp) all over half the lawn.

Oh ya, the it dries up 7-1 sharp.

Don't worry about what type you have, think about the quality of job you arre doing and the good jobs will come your way. The best Com. account couldn't get you more biz than 10 decent res. accounts.
  3. mountain air

mountain air LawnSite Member
    from alberta

you are so right
  4. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I got lucky on my commercials. I know someone that owns a property management company as well as some condos. Then I got a couple of medical clinics because I know some people on the inside. Not bragging or anything....just saying I was lucky.:)
    I prefer commercial over residential.
  5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Commercial is alot easier to deal with. As long as you're doing quality work, they don't whine. No stupid, idiotic complaints and they always pay on time. If I had my way, I'd get all commercial. I'd say the best thing to do is have a bunch of props. that you want to look at. Go look at them, pick them out, write the address down, blah, blah, blah, then, go home and write a proposal for the ones you want and present a proposal to the company. Just walk in there and ask for the manager and ask them if they would be willing to let you submit a proposal to maintain the property. If they say yes, you've got your proposal right there. Professionalism is the key. They don't want to mess around a whole lot if they're looking around for someone to maintain the property. Hope that helps.
  6. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Sometimes they just fall out of the sky.

I was filling up tonight and the store manager told me that they had just fired their last LCO. Because I have bought all of my fuel from them for the last 3 years, and had gotten to know them, they wanted me to take a crack at it...along with 15 other locations. He even told me what they were paying...and I was blown away.

You just never know where the 'leads' are going to come from.
  7. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

Sometimes commercial work can come from your residential. Size up your customers who might have some inside track to some commercial work. You'd be suprised at some of the results. One quality commercial jobs will usually land you another. Good luck.
  8. Tim Canavan

Tim Canavan LawnSite Member
    from Houston

If you're residentials are that much of a headache, raise their price to make it worth your while. If they say no, then at least they are out of your hair. It's got to be pretty bad though. Why are they such a headache to you?
    Commercial accounts weird. You never know what you are going to get with them. I've heard stories that will make you never want to get into commercial accounts. I have four really nice commercial accounts and they all just kinda fell into my lap sp to speak. It's all about who you know. Quality work helps out, too:cool:
  9. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

I don't mind doing commercial but, as mentioned they can be a PITA. I was interested in doing some work for our county Public Utilities District. Alot of hoops. They wanted proof of Lic., Bonded, and Ins.(obviously) at 1mil. liability coverage along with 1mil. auto coverage on your vehicle. They wanted to be the holder of the certificate for the Ins. References for the past 2yrs. for commercial properties only. Then you have to attend a pre-bid meeting with all the LCO's who are bidding. When you meet all their requirements and you are awarded the bid you then have to take a ride to all the properties once a week with someone form the PUD who's job is to make sure eveything is getting done.

When I first got in touch with the PUD the lady told me there's alot you have to do, it's not just show up and mow.