help

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by 2brothersyardcare, Jun 5, 2011.

1. 2brothersyardcare

2brothersyardcare LawnSite Silver Member

so what to do I recently did a paver job came out awesome the customer approved it and we poly sanded it and then she flipped and asked why there was no soldier course. I explained that she asked or an old style brick look and that i took it as no soldier course i ripped up a course and re did it its a very small walk way kind of looks stupid now. but do i charge as an extra?

2. mnglocker

mnglocker LawnSite Senior Member

Always put work orders down on paper and on the contract and charge for change orders.

3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

chalk it up as a lesson learned.

You can not do a job based on a home owner's terminology. Nor your own terminology. "old style brick" that means squat.

My proposal clearly states along the lines of this:

a) install pretty pavers in a random pattern, with a soldier course border placed along the outer perimeter(s)

b) install pretty pavers in a random pattern, with no border.....

So when our jobs have no border - the paper works ALWAYS reflects such.

And when it has a border, it states what type of border, as there is more than just the soldier course.

and you must specify the manufacturer, paver model, and color(s).

Please send me a $50 gift card to Longhorn Steak House for helping you get on the right track with my priceless information!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  4. 2brothersyardcare

well i asked her if she wanted a brick like this showing the soldier course she said no then she wanted it

5. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

Have them sign and intial each step of the build to keep things in order and without confusion.

6. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

sounds like a job done without anything in writing.

The main purpose of a contract isn't so much for taking people to court, but so the contractor and the client are able to establish what's called "meeting of the minds", and to establish what both parties can expect. This way when people change their minds you're both covered.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  7. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Ya, its basically called a "statement of work" or sow. As you gain experience in this field your sow will become more detailed. Chalk this up to a lesson learned, she is likely happy now and quite likely to pass your name on to a friend. Its all good.

8. 2brothersyardcare

i had a contract didnt say how i was going to lay the pavers tho lol