Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by superman, Sep 9, 2003.

1. superman

superman LawnSite Member

OK, got a question for ya. I had a firend call and asked if I would bring the Super Z over and let him mow his yard. It had been 2 weeks since he mowed and he didn't think his murray would cut it. Of course I agreed. I stayed and watched while he mowed. The problem is that at some point the gas cap came off one of my tanks. I noticed when he was almost done, he stoped and we started looking for it. Found it and put it back on, the only thing I can figure is that I didn't get it tight enough when I filled up. So, I said all that to ask this. I am afraid that dirt and debris got in my tank. I looked in and there wasn't anything floating. Is there anything I can do or should do to keep any debris that might have gotten in from causing a problem?

Sorry so long

2. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

i also had the same problem when i first purchased the super z. my cap came off about 3 times in two weeks. i noticed it as soon as i smelled gas, so i never lost the cap. i started putting it on as tight as i coud . the resolved the prob. now i dont have to tighten it as much. must have been break in or something ? i was lucky and realized it soon enough that no debris got into my tank.
  3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I would start by at least putting a new fuel filter in the unit.
    If it plugs that up, I would drain and flush out the fuel tank that the cap came off of.
    There is no way you can see into the very bottom of the tank, so there could be some dirt in there.