1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Bongo, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Bongo

Bongo LawnSite Member

Help just starting in business need as much info. as possible.Have one season experience with small lawn crew,and have always had at least 5 lawns to mow since I was 15, but don't know anything about the business aspects.
  2. indmowing

indmowing LawnSite Member

I would say you've come to the right place Bongo.

Now I would suggest you start reading :) If there is anything in particular you are looking for I would use the search, and you'll be suprised at how much info there is on any given topic.

Nice to hear from you :)

Take care and all the best in the future

3. chuckwk

chuckwk Founder
    from KC, MO

You have over half a million posts to read through.... and thousands of 'points of views' to take advantage of. have fun.
  4. Bongo

Bongo LawnSite Member

Here is the gameplan.1 Crafstman 21' mulcher/ bagger, 1 Ryobi trimmer with edger attac., hedge trimmers, blower, $600 to cover expenses until profit arives,maybe 20 lawns, and hard work.
  5. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

Job #1. buy quality tools! Commercial quality ONLY!. Skip the ryobi, get an echo or shindaiwa trimmer. my shin. T230 trimmer ran me $250. While it may seem expensive to what you can buy at a sears, home depot, or hardware store. it will be more reliable and durable.

Theres a great divide in the people about buying multi-app tools or buying individuals. Myself, i like having a designated tool for each task. This way if the motor goes i only lose one tool, not 3 or 4.

I don't know what advice to give on a 21" as i've never used one commercially. I myself bought a used 50" commercial gravely walk behind. Now i'm ready to upgrade to a new model with hydro controls. Of course you may not need a large WB if you don't have large properties.

overall, i would buy a self propelled 21" (if you can afford it), a T230 (or similar), small back pack blower (echo/shindaiwa/redmax) and then buy the rest as you go. Don't be afraid to look for used equipment either. Commercial quality is expensive, but it will last you and pay off well in the end.
  6. Bongo

Bongo LawnSite Member

Yhanks for the info BSDeality, I thought Ryobi was a quality tool, but that goes to show how much I know about the business. About the mower size, Isn't a 52" too big to fit through residential gates? If so would it profit me to have both sizes one for front, and one for the backyards?
  7. Moguy

Moguy LawnSite Member

Along with this site, also check out the small business administration or an orginization associated with the green industry.
  8. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

It is too large unless they have double gates. Around here most properties are 1/2-3acre's and hardly anyone has fencing up except around pools. Also some properties i've worked on have double gates, so the opening is usually about 5.5-8' wide. Buy the biggest machine you can to get through gates. you will have to wiggle a 36" cut machine through a 36" gate.
  9. Bongo

Bongo LawnSite Member