1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pines, Feb 23, 2004.

1. pines

pines LawnSite Member

Guys I need your help in a big way. I met with a potential client yesterday and she is interested in paying a constant monthly bill for a turn key scope of work that consists of the following:

1. 30 mows (April-Oct.) in an area that should take approx. 3hours per cut.
    2. 5 mows per season in a field that should take 4 hours per cut
    3. Mulch 1 time various beds that are easily accesible to truck of approx. 2,300 sq. ft.
    4. 3 seasonal flower plantings (spring,summer,fall) consisting of approx. 210 individual flowers at various beds and flower pots for each planting.
    5. Leaf Blowing removal 12 times (Sept 15-Nov 30) weekly. I am looking at approx 8 hours per blow/removal. Also need to consider performing this once in the spring.
    6. snow removal of driveway approx 1/2 hour from home in good weather . Driveway is 1/4 mile long with steep hill and pad, along with shoveling walkway. I looked at total time leave home to return home 2hours. I looked at 2 visits Dec., 4.5 visits Jan, 4.5 visits Feb. and 1 visit March. No real good way at looking at this one.
    7. misc. items -wind storm dead timber removal etc.

What do you think? Thanks in advance.
  2. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Figuring on the basis that you are doing this work alone. 18,000.00 or 12 payments of $1500.00 too many variables on cutting regarding the actual size ect.
  3. PLI1

PLI1 LawnSite Senior Member

Here's what I would bid if the job were in my area.
    3.$480 one inch layer of mulch
    $880 two " " " "
    Add to this price accordingly if there is a lot of edging.
    4$1200 ish, need more info. How many beds, pots, type of plants. ect.
    6.$2400ish. need more info. on hand shoveling. This would not incl. salting.
    7. You may wan't to charge misc. items separetly. The most important thing is to specify in the contract or agreement EXACTLY what is a misc. item and what isn't. You could pad the bid by say $1200 and specify that misc. items are covered up to 20 hours of labor + dumping fees ect. This will have to be your call. But you'll definately want to cover yourself in case of an ice storm or some other giant mess.
  4. pines

pines LawnSite Member

thank you very much for your thoughts.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Nice job to have. 12 snow events is probably too high though unless you were in Vermont, New Hampshire or lake effect storms around Buffalo, NY.

96 man hours of leaf blowing/clean-up?

Tell us what kind of equipment/size you intend to use btw for all this work...
  6. pines

pines LawnSite Member

Yeah I think I did cover myself on the snow......the others are a constant but snow is such an unknown. I have a massey ferguson tractor 62" with a bucket that will allow me to cut the grass in the areas described. For the leaf removal I will just use a backpack and a walk behind. I can just blow everything into an adjacent woods.
  7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

well, i can't give an estimate any other way, except by the hrs you mentioned, with exception to the flowers and mulch. #1=4050(season) #2=900(season) #3=$1073, this is a 2"layer of mulch, 18.5 yds, @$58 per yd. #4=9 flats per planting, @$25 per flat, times 3 different visits=$675. #5=$4320. #6+#7, not even guessing those. this is my priced based on a one man show