help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by suprman9019er, Mar 14, 2004.

1. suprman9019er

suprman9019er LawnSite Member

can anyone tell me in detail what the difference is between a BELT DRIVE and a HYDRO DRIVE and which one is better for the price difference

2. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Hmmm, that is a question superman. Well, no doubt by the time I write it all out, 3 more will have already posted, and answered your question to t "T". (in the rare circumstance, that someone doesn't, I'll hook you up)

Should be prepared for differing opinions on which is better for the price difference.

3. suprman9019er

suprman9019er LawnSite Member

can anyone give me a reply

4. metro-hp_48

from TN

OK a belt drive consist of a transmission (either vari. speed, or geared trans....most popular are the Peerless in the 4 spd (older models) or 5 spd configurations) a belt from a pulley mounted on the motor's shaft, turns the trans, and in turn, turns the axles which have belts going to the pulleys on each wheel.
    (squeeze the grips to the "neutral position" and the tension is off the belts, much like a Laddervator that the roofers use)
    Hydros use a hydro pump (or pumps as the case may be) and hydro motors at each wheel. Only YOU can decide which is right for you, as far as cost. Alot of hills, get a hydro, or plan on using the brakes alot, or free-wheel like no tomm.

5. Dave655

Dave655 LawnSite Member

On the hydros though, if the pump breaks it's a lot more money to replace, then having a belt drive and just buying a new belt!

6. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

A belt drive uses a belt driven from the engine to power a gear box. Then the output of the gear box goes to each side to seprate belts in which the driver can pull the handles to control the tension to a belt that drives each wheel seprately to allow you to stear the mower. It also has to be shifted to go forward or backwards.

The hydro drive has a belt from the engine that drive two hydro pumps 1 for each wheel. The driver controls the pressure from there to the wheel motors with the handles the same as on the belt drive.

In my opinion the hydro is a better way to go. Some of the advantages are 2 less belts to wear out, the hydro speed is completely controled by only the hand controls, it can go forward or backward by squeezing the handles, and their is less operator fatigue because the controls are easier to operate.

Hope I did ok with the info, as I have never owned a belt drive mower. I'm sure others will inform you if any of my thinking is incorrect.

7. metro-hp_48

from TN

Very good point Dave. I wish I hadn't left out that part. A good deal is 1,200.00 to replace 2 hyro motors and 2 wheel motors, vrs. less than 200.00 for a new Peerless, and 25.00 each on my particular wheel belts. Does make a diff. when comparing cost vrs. value (in a way, depending)

8. metro-hp_48

from TN

Dang Swim, you brought up another very good point (and why I was wanting for others to answer......and do alot better job)
    The reverse on my eXamrk belt drive, is practically non-existent.

9. kdmaint

kdmaint LawnSite Member

If its in your budget buy the hydro I have a belt drive and sometimes when the grass is wet and thick or cutting in the rain it can get a little rough that has been my exp.