Help!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by 89Ranger, Jun 14, 2004.

1. 89Ranger

89Ranger LawnSite Member

Hi,
    I was hoping to start a lawn mowing business this year but the plans fell through because of financial issues. But now i am just reading and saving my money. I have thought about going to a lawn mower dealer and seeing what they have for old lawn tractors and stuff, then in the years upgrade to ZTR's and higher grade commercial equipment. I would also buy a brand new weed wacker and push mower. What do u guys think?

2. CuttersCove

CuttersCove LawnSite Member

Sounds like a plan, Ranger.

I'm in the same boat as you saving money to start next year. But I've been doing maintenance/landscaping for my brother's company for the last 8 or so years.

Good luck. What kind of mowers you looking at? I've used exmarks for the last 6 years and scags and dixies before that.

3. 89Ranger

89Ranger LawnSite Member

I thought about using the Dixie (the one for light comercial) but then i think i will probably go with the walker 42 inch cut

also for this post i was wondering what kind of trailer i should try and get. I have an '89 ford ranger with a 2.9 V6, 4wd, and automatic tranny. Do u think it could pull a 6X10 enclosed or even a 6X12 with a ramp. I am aware that i won't have a lot of power but that doesn't bother me. I also looked at a 1986 4 place snowmobile trailer. it was 16 ft. What do u guys think about this and what the equipment will weigh and also the weight of the grass compared to the axles weight.

tell me what you all think

Thanks
    Jon

4. 89Ranger

89Ranger LawnSite Member

Could someone please help me? This is really importanat to my biz to see how my plans change.

5. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Used equipment is the way to go if you are strapped for cash. If you are getting it from a dealer, ask about getting a warrenty on it, even if it is only for a few months.

I think that with a Ranger you would probably want to use an open trailer because they are a lot lighter and have much less wind resistance. If you are only putting around town though, an enclosed would probably be ok. I'd think that a 6x10 single axel would be good to start with. Its a nice medium sized trailer to get started with and it is still big enough to haul some mulch around with too.

You can have a crappy truck and a falling apart trailer but you must have the best equipment that you can afford. That is your business. The end product is all that counts.

6. 89Ranger

89Ranger LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help.
    So u are saying my ranger would be okay and to try and get better than an old cheap lawn tractor?

7. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Yup, thats what I'm saying.

8. 89Ranger

89Ranger LawnSite Member

What do u other guys think?

9. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi 89Ranger,

It's better to get started today with what you can piece together than wait until tomorrow, because tomorrow may never come. Keep us updated on how you are doing and don't give up. :)

10. 89Ranger

89Ranger LawnSite Member

I have a 4X8 trailer i could use. We just bought it and it came in a package with our 4-wheeler we just bought. The only equipment i have right now is an 89 Ford Ranger, 4X8 trailer, some 2X4 to build sides on the trailer, An old falling apart 21" Murray push mower

What am i going to do with that?

I can't even weed whack at the houses. But do u think i can use the trailer we have as a start up trailer or do u think i should wait and try to buy a bigger trailer like a 6X10 or something. I will be hauling a garden tractor and a push mower and a trimmer and 2 32-gallon trashcans. Oh yeah and probably 2 five gallon gas cans. i can put the grass in my truck.

So Team Gopher what do u think is the best way to get p and going?

In the winter i am planning on shoveling sidewalks and stuff but no plowing, atleast not until i am out of high school.