1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kenscape, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Kenscape

Kenscape LawnSite Member

Hope you guys can help me, I am looking to add new customers, wondered if any one out there has any ideas that have worked for them and wouldn't mind passing along information. Thanks
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

There is not one magical thing that will work the best. Sometimes it is just luck being in the right place at the right time.
    Get your name out there as much as you can, letter up your truck so people know who you are. The more customers you have, that's when word of mouth starts kicking in. Until then, advertise in local newspaper, put out fliers in the areas you want to work in. You will need to be very aggressive at first, the more people who see you, see your truck, etc, the better chance of getting a new client.
  3. JustMowIt

JustMowIt LawnSite Senior Member

We have 7 yellow page ads in different books that generate a steady stream of calls, that you can count on every day. After that we put out a large volume of door hangers '04 300,000 '05 1,000,000. You can expect to get 1 to 1.5 customers per thousand (that is our result). The key is finding a cheap way to produce and distribute the hangers. For 2005 we are using a printer in Taiwan that prints 4 color for .01 at high quanities, but still reasonable at lower volume, our distributor charges .05, as long as we agree to be distribiuted with other hangers (i.e. takeout menus,etc...).

The biggest key is answering the phone after you spend all of this money!!! Voicemail is death to advertising!

4. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

What have you found to be the most efficient way to pass out flyers? I have been getting Staples to use thick paper and cut sheets into 4 pieces and then I get a roll of magnets and cut little pieces for each flyer. That part is a pain, but it seems like a good many make it from stuck on the mailbox to stuck on the refridgerator.