1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lafrance4078, Oct 26, 2004.

1. lafrance4078

lafrance4078 LawnSite Member

OK, I demoed a Gravely 260Z and a Similar Toro ZTR. I really liked the Gravely. Now as I ponder my options, I see and demo a GD Super Surfer. It was amazing. I really liked how quick and agile it was. I have mostly large lots to mow. But several of them have lots of trees(one has a small orchard) By large I mean 1.5 acre residentials. I am also going to be bidding 4 apt complexs with large steep hills unknown degree on hills. Walk behind will do them just fine. However I would like to find a good overall mower. Which mower would you guys buy. Any questions, just ask. Not sure if I have you all enough info.
  2. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

I love my GD surfer, it cuts a lot of grass quick but it's easy to scalp if your not watching what your doing.
  3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

For your conditions I would probibly go with the GD super surfer.

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

5. lafrance4078

Richie, what caused you to choose the Gravely over the Toro or GD surfer.
  6. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I am going against all three choices, and will say Wright Stander. I demoed the new Gen II Super Surfer at Expo, and I still really prefer the Wrights. I know its a personal issue, but for what you described, a stander of any brand will perform just fine. You will be amazed at the time saved and increased production on tighter areas as well as large open areas. Less tralier space is required for stand on units as well, so you can fit more on one trailer. :drinkup:

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

www.kulakandcompany.com :blob3:
  8. lafrance4078

Thanks to all who replied. I don't have a Wright dealer anywhere close to me. At least 2 hours to closesst. I will probably go with the GD. Thanks again.
  9. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

I have a used GD Surfer. I love it. Had it just this year. I do 71 residentials and 3 commercials. It has made quite the difference. I only have to work 5 days a week, instead of 6. Normal weather, of course. It is fast and dependable. Hills are not a problem. This winter I am going to experiment in add-ons. I love to weld and fabricate : Collection system, 12vdc spreader, tine rake and aerator. I may even upgrade on the motor, I put an 18hp Kohler on it. It is a 48" deck. Maybe go to a 25hp motor. I had to replace a couple of things during the year. The prices on the parts weren't bad, and it is not too hard to work on. I happen to be mechanically inclined, that helps. Should you decide on the GD and need any help in the future, just call.