Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Titans Fan, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Titans Fan

Titans Fan LawnSite Member

I know how to sharpen lawn mower blades, but I don't have the tools to do it!

My question is what type of air compressor do I need to buy - as in HP, PSI and gallon size.

I also need to know what type of air drill to buy as well.

Any ideas on a good hand grinder would be appreciated as well.

I've been using my father-in-laws stuff to do it but it is a hassell, I want to be able to start everyday with a set of sharpened blades, not just once a week.

2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Why not just get a 4 inch angle grinder, no need for the compressor, air drill, etc.
    I started using an angle grinder and sharpened blades good, but I had a hard time trying to keep the proper angle of they were sharp enough butr was not the right angle. I bought a rbg blade sharpener at beginning of this year and all I can say is WOW! The mowers run quiter, I can go faster without leaving the stragglers, and the best part is that it only takes about a minute to sharpen the blades.
  3. Titans Fan

I always use an air compressor and impact to tighten my blades.
  4. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

How do you always use an air compressor if you are looking for one! :rolleyes:

A compressor is not neccessary, wrenches work get a grinder and be done with it.
  5. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

lately, most of posts start out with "Help, I am clueless, i need help, RIGHT AWAY, It's life or death situation".

I dont know what's up with that, but a little search, a litte intuition to go to Home Cheapo or Lowes to ask for a angle grinder (if that's what you want to use).

Which one is the best???? Even if i did not know anything about tools, the price tag will tell me (or get me close) to which one is the best.

I mean, come on, man. I am not trying to start a fight, but DeWalt, Milwakee, Makita, Porter Cable, IR (compressor). Have you NOT heard of those? Also, how much do you want to spend? $400? $40 (like me)?

Did you do a search for sharpening blades or compressors?

You are totally lost (or confused) becuase you are asking many questions at the same time. Are you asking "What air compressor to buy? Are you asking what kind of air tools to buy?? You start with blades, then go to compressor, air tools.

Did you go to Home Depot? Did you like your "father -in-law"s" tool? if you did, buy the same one. If you did not, buy more expensive one.

Get a blade grinder. Talk to Travis and get one.

p.s. What's a "hassell".

no hard feelings. i guess i am just venting on a sunday morning.
  6. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

He said that he has been using his father-n-laws, but he want's his own say he can change his blades more often.

Sure it isn't necessary, but it helps a lot to have one and he has every right to own one.

Why the attitude guys?
  7. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know a lot about the new generation of compressors (I have the old belt driven from Snapon). But any mid sized Compressor should do you fine. It doesn't take much torque to change blades, but you want something that can handle tire changes etc. I would shoot for the most HP you can afford. As for Impact wrenches (They are not drills) I use Chicago Pneumatic.

I wish I could have been more help.
  8. Titans Fan

Petrentz, you are a freakin' prick! And you need to learn to read!

Thanks to everyone else for their imput!
  9. cutnedge

cutnedge LawnSite Member

Kind of inevitable with your kind of replies, petrentz.
  10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I agree 4" angle grinder and sockets is all that is needed. I am curious about the rbg? What is that? The reason angle grinder is good because you can do mulching blades and I am not aware of bench grinders that do those?