1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

helper quit should i hire a helper again?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Brianj, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Brianj

Brianj LawnSite Member

friday was my helper's last day.. quit for a higher paying job, but wanted to stay but wanted more money.. was paying him 8.00 and he wanted 9.50, i was giving him a salary of 225 a week during the 2 off months i have here, if he worked more then his salary that week i paid him more, but he was only working about 20 hours week right now. he had no driver license and was going to get one for 5 years, 21 yr old kid with to many speeding tickets and caught drving 3 times on a suspended license, so that revoked his license for 5 years, so guess who picks him up and takes home....i even gave him a couple of advances, which i forgave some of the money... i tell u try to nice and teach young people things and sometimes they just dont learn.. sorry just had to vent....anyways i cut about 60 yards a week during the summer,i can handle it but it 6 days a week sun up to sun down, and some sundays. so i am wondering if i really do need a helper or not.. what do u guys think?
  2. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

IMO-you will need a helper. Now, it seems like you may be able to handle this on your own but your looking at working 70+ hours a week solo. Trust me-after 2 weeks your going to be shot. Also, what happens when you have a breakdown, you will never be able to recover solo. I would look for a helper. This is just my 2 cents, but I dont think you will be able to handle this solo.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Sure sounds to me like you could use someone...what are ya going to do if you need a day off for something?
  4. CNE

CNE LawnSite Member

I would try to find a more reliable helper, one that can drive and doesn't have such a bad record. Paying a little more would help. $8 sounds a little low to me. I only have one guy that helps me part time. I pay $10 an hour. Anybody who will stand on the end of a trimmer or carry a blower on his back is worth that to me. Just my opinion.
  5. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

To me it sounds like you need a helper who wants to work sun up to sun down as you put it.Try to find someone else bump up the pay a little and see if you can pick up a couple extra lawn to cover the extra expenses.
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Who the hell is gonna work for 8 bucks an hour? You can get that at McDonalds and be in the AC too.
  7. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

MacDonalds around here starts at over $9/hr and its a lot easier than landscaping. my employees earn $20 - $30 per hour. New employees start at $10 hr and its hard to find anyone who doesn't drool on themselves at that rate.
  8. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

I would pay a little more for some good help or you can drop a few accounts and tighten you route and maybe you can do it solo working about 8-10 hours 5 days a week.
  9. I stay solo, and reduce the client base! keep the best clients!
  10. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Rodfather, you might not believe this, but in oure area (Im 70 miles from Jax.fla) our big time lcos pay around 6 bucks an hour. The highest paid helper I know of makes 10 bucks an hour and he has been with the company for 10 years. BTW, our McDonalds pays 5.15 per hour, I applied for a part time job few months ago. I guess your location makes a big difference as I have said several times before.