1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

helper was awful!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EHesseyLawns, Mar 23, 2004.

1. EHesseyLawns

EHesseyLawns LawnSite Member

hey everyone,

how has everyone handled this situation; i had a guy come with me and help me on some yards today. he did terrible. i showed him how to edge, told him how to edge, several times. and i reiterated several times that the yards had to be edged. he would not edge. i had no time to teach him how to run the mower so i was stuck with him. he also told a customer he wasnt getting paid "jack" for doing what he was doing....i had to go back and edge everything after i finished cutting, i might as well have told him to just sit in the truck...

what should i do? after abou 2.5 hours i just took him home. should i even pay him? just venting cause i got put behind...thanks
  2. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

pay him minimum wage so you can't get in trouble.
  3. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

I would probably pay him just for the simple fact that I would not want to hear him whine and moan about it. BUT, I would never ever use him again. Consider it a cheap lesson learned about him.
  4. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Elizabeth, if you had promised him a little sugar if he did a good job, the results may have been different. Put those feminine charms to work girl.
  5. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

I'd pay him the 2.5 and call it good. Then legally there is nothing he can do. Time worked is time paid, even if he sucked at it. At least ya did the right thing and cut it off when ya saw it was going bad and getting worse!
  6. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Yeah pay him and cut your losses. Did he claim to have experience????
  7. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

I have had those kind... I pay them, then call them that night and just tell them it wasnt working out.:cry:

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

maybe next time you should take the time to train the person you hire jm .02
  9. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Pay him and chalk it up to a training lesson for you.
  10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

don't pay him nothing, and if he comes knockin at your door, get your husband to throw him down the stairs.