1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Helper's Pay Rate-Is this fair?

Discussion in 'Employment' started by cutman2000, Apr 26, 2012.

1. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

Well the real unemployment rate is 14%. Might as well take advantage of it. I have several skilled workers making $8 or less an hour.

Have some compassion? This is a business! I prefer profitability over compassion!
  2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

If they would scale back the unemployment benefits people might be a little more eager to work. Half the applicants I get want 13~15 hr under the table because they are still claiming UE benefits.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. BPS##

BPS## LawnSite Senior Member
    from WY

Greed is not a character trait one should have.

I understand business and profit.
    But you can rest assured that Karma will not look kindly on you for taking advantage of your employees this way.
  4. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

Greed is good. It is why I get up and go to work every morning. I want more money. I am a greedy sonofabitch. I sure as hell don't do this for fun or to create jobs for the hell of it.

I have employees that are great and make alot more than $8 an hour, but during a recession is when you want to hold your labor cost down. I have actually reduced my labor costs. It is simply supply and demand. And the whole f@#ing point of being in business is to make MONEY!!

Karma? Really?
  5. Norquist

Norquist LawnSite Member

I start my guys @ 10 bucks how is a guy suppose to live. With that being said if they don't carry their weight I tell them I can pay another guy 10 buck and hr.
  6. RHR101

RHR101 LawnSite Member
    from NY

I start helpers at $8/hr ,more if they can run a z-turn. Pay goes up by performance, reliability, and consistancy. Do quality work in an efficient manner you get paid more. In other words I make more - you make more.

I have to be competitive in prices to get enough work to keep everyone working. Everyone wants to make top $, but customers don't want to pay top$.