Helpful Hints !!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by OnMyOwn, Feb 15, 2006.

1. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

Since the season is getting close, we are getting anxious to get the mowers ready to roll. This got me thinking about all of the things we do on a daily / weekly basis. There are many short-cuts learned over the years that may be helpful to others on the site. Let's see what everyone does that can help us all.

Do you ever struggle with the oil plugs on the mowers being hard to back out. The solution is to add more leverage to the situation. You take your 6" socket extension and place it on the head of the oil plug, then place a crescent wrench on the other "flat" end. It works perfectly and does not gouge, or round your plug.

2. Sir mowsalot

Sir mowsalot LawnSite Senior Member

I use one of those easy reach grabbers for picking up trash while on my z. Mine also folds in half which is even more convenient $6.00. I drive my z up on the side of my trailer drop down gate to clean the bottom of the deck. Pretend to not see those customers of mine standing there while im mowing, you know the ones, they always want to have small talk and waste my precious time. I do stop for the customers who are not like that, cuase they usually have a concern or something that is worth discussin.

3. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Whatever brand of trimmer head you use, keep at least 2 extra pre strung spools per trimmer in the truck. We carry the extras on large commercials, and it takes a few seconds to change cassettes rather than a 10 minute walk to the truck, and a five min. break for water, check phone messages,etc...See where that is going? LOL

4. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

GOOD POINT Impact because not only it take you time to change it over but like you said the b.s. factor will eat up a lot of time. Also they make reserve gas bottles for trimmers I saw in a magazine last year. They attach to the shaft and on long trim runs, no need to again go back to the truck. We all probably would be surprised how much time we can save if we implemented some or all of these time saving tips. My tip in a nutshell would be to make sure everything is ready to go for the next morning, fuel in all of the equipment is topped off, pre cut trimmer line, and make sure if doing a specialty job you bring all the equipment you will need. I hated going back to my garage for 2 shovels and 45 minutes wasted.hammer

5. lance1

lance1 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Lots of Gatorade & fruit on the truck to keep me fueled!

6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I can't remember the name of it, but Shindiawa makes a rapid load head. You just feed half the line in there and wind it counter clockwise and nothing to disasseble.

7. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl also has the same deal, i wont go back to any other type of trimmer head:drinkup:

8. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

i cant stress enough " plenty of gatoraid on those hot days " . water just makes me sick to my stomach and cola just makes me more thirsty than before i drank it..

9. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Matt, I am all pro-Shindaiwa handheld, but I just couldn't get past how huge and bulky that head looked last year. Our dealer had them for $ 36.00 each or something crazy like that, and asked me if we wanted 4 or 5 of them. I said sure, if you give one to us for a few days to try it out.They only had like 20 of them, and wouldn't spare a trial unit, so I passed. No one around here bought them other than homeowners according to them.Do you really like them that much over the stock Shin heads?

10. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

A Realtor friend of mine has quit accepting calls during the day. Her voice mail says" Thanks for calling, I'm with a client. I'll be returning calls between 10:00 am and 11:00 am, and again between 4:00pm and 5:00 pm.

I think this is a great idea. I cannot even count the number of times I quit working to return phone calls that could have waited until the end of the day, and face it - How many Lawn Emergencies really happen???