helpful info. from those in the midwest

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DoubleB, Sep 18, 2007.

1. DoubleB

DoubleB LawnSite Member
    from So.Dak.

hey guys, i was wondering if any of you from around the midwest area could help me out here. Been doing landscaping for 5 yrs now for a contractor in my home town. I've been gaining alot of experience in all aspects of the landscaping field, and feel very comfortable to branch out on my own. I was curious as to if any of you that are from around the midwest area, could possibly help me out for setting some pricing guidelines to start out by. I know pricing differs from region to region, thats why I'm asking those of you around the midwest. I'm trying to set pricing for my hardscapes, ex. paver patios, SRW's, flagstone etc. Have a pretty good idea, but want to make sure i'm in the ballpark. I know this might be sort of a personal question, thats my i'm not begging, just asking for a little help if you could. Thanks in advance guys.

Note: My boss now really never lets me see any invoices or proposals (as he shouldn't). Thats why i'm sort of clueless.

2. orionkf

orionkf LawnSite Member

Midwest is pretty broad. Just crossing the river from where I'm at, to St. Louis (15-20 mins) leads to higher prices. Likewise if you go to the small towns pricing is lower. To get accurate pricing, you really have to know the price of everything (materials is just the start). Markup and Profit by Michael Stone is a good place to start. The Complete Business Manual for Concrete Paver Contractors by Charles Vander Kooi is also worth reading.

3. steve5966

steve5966 LawnSite Member

The midwest is pretty broad. Just an example for you. St. Louis, crush and run last year 4$ a ton, Omaha 14$ a ton. St. Louis road gravel not available for a reasonable price, Omaha very cheap. Check with the local suppliers. Your brick and block dealers should be able to put you in the ballpark.

4. DoubleB

DoubleB LawnSite Member
    from So.Dak.

I was actually refering to labor prices. Ballpark range for laying a paver patio or flagstone patio (wet and dry lay), and also SRW's/Boulder retaining walls. Sorry for the confusion.