helpin' the competition

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LLS-turfman, Jul 27, 2003.

1. LLS-turfman

LLS-turfman LawnSite Member

I had a call this afternoon from a competitor in my town, he asked me if I could do some welding on his trailer, and how much would I charge. Well I thought for a minute and said bring it on over, I'll help you out for nothing. I'm think'in this guy's in a jamb to call outta the clear blue like that, an I guess I been there too. So, about an hour of my time, I think I made a new friend, seemed to be a decent guy out to make a buck, just like most of us

2. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

That's good of ya to help him out....... Hopefully he's the kind of guy that remembers that sort of thing. I know that 2 guys who work for another service here helped me push my ZTR out of the mud this spring, I'll do anything I can to help them if I ever can. Good guys, realize we're all out there for the same thing, no reason not to be civil or friendly.

3. maple city

maple city LawnSite Senior Member

We'd help out someone we were friendly with.

I was out working one day and another LCO was across the street. The guy was having alot of trouble getting his bower started. I could tell he was embarassed because he knew I was watching. He walked around the corner of the house to fight with it. I was done with my work, just waiting, and I really thought about firing up my blower to help him(1 easy pull), but it was one of the companies that never waves when we see them, so I just sat and watched (and laughed inside).

4. 44toy

44toy LawnSite Member

I will get along with anyone who wants to get along. A lot of people think i'm trying to under cut them or will fade away. Been mowing for about 10 years overall and 5 with real equipment. Been burnt bt the same situation more than once but I believe i'm living right, and that is what matters. If they use you just turn the other check, but remeber it in your head.

get me once, shame on you
    get me twice, shame on me!

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Kudos to you turfman,
    Ain't that the way it's supposed to be?
    If people would stop looking at the competition as an enemy and treat them as a friend you would be amazed at what can occur.

6. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I will go and talk with just about anybody I find. At bare minimum say hello. I try to be as hospitable as possible. However I do have a couple people in the area who I have it out for... for various reasons. There are a small number of people though, who if they ever need anything, any time, day or night they can call me and I will be there. It goes the other way as well. If I am in a jam at any time, I can call them and they will help me out.

7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

That was a very nice gesture to help out the competition. I would be careful about how much you do for others though. Most people will be decent and return the favor but don't expect them to and this will work out for everyone. Hopefully if you ever need any help down the road he will be willing to be there for you but don't count on it.

Gravely_Man